Placement of empty room space?

HaeSuse

my HT room is about 26' x 12'. Way too long for what I need, and there

is going to be an empty space in my setup. My question is, will it be

better to have the empty space behind the TV and front channels, or

behind the couch/recliners and rear channels? Or does it matter?

Also, what ARE the downsides of having such an empty space? Mine will

probably end up being something like 8-10' of open area, for my

aquarium, tables, bookcases, etc...

Thanks in advance for helping a newb out ;)

HaeSuse

The empty space should be behind the rear channels due to sound reflection. However you will want to use as much "soft" stuff back there as you can. Carefule placement of soft, plush couches and chair will help with sound absorption. be sure to toe in the front Mains, so that if you drew a straight line from the tweeter the lines cross about 12" behind like a triangle. That will help greatly with imaging and partially taking out the back part of the room. and if you continue the line to the back wall, that will be an approximate place for some sort of deadening. Even a bookcase, with foam blocking.padding behind open spots, soft draperies there will help also. You may want to think about somw sort of triangular treatment for the front/back ceiling corners of the room. You can take some 1"x 2" board and make a triangle, mount it in the corner up at an angle and fill the space will loose cellulose/fibrous insulation. Then cover it in grill cloth from Joann fabrics. you can use any color and it wil help a TON....