RF-7

bambam

Does anyone have the RF-5 and how do you like them

I do and I absolutley LOVE them! They are very smooth with great detail and for MY ears, a very accurate speaker. I think they were the most under appreciated speaker in the Reference Floorstanding line.

I just recently went back and spent an hour or so listening to RF7s with my set of "reference" recordings. As good as the RF7s are - I still found the 5's better in the midrange (where are ears spend most of their time). In comparing the 5s to the 7s - the 7s larger driver on the tweeter emphasizes more of the low end of a crash cymbal while the 5s emphasize more of the high end of the crash cymbal. Bear in mind this is a small - subtle difference.

I went to the audition intending to buy the RF7s if I felt they offered more to my ear - they did not. 10" drivers do not handle the midrange the same way an 8" driver does. It's interesting that the new Ref IV is using 8" as the NEW top of the line woofer - albeit one that has been enhanced.

Another point of interest - the RC7 center is basically an RF5 with the RF7 tweeter in a cabinet about 2/3rd's the height of the RF5.