Why Headroom Matters

Jeff Matthews

Jeff Matthews wrote:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

"This is straight out of the DFH materials PaulN posted:

'Although we do not recommend it (either for the customers ears or his equipment), the all horn-loaded systems, KLIPSCHORN, LA SCALA, and BELLE KLIPSCH can reproduce blood curdling high levels in the 115 to 120 dB SPL range when driven by an amplifier of 100 to 300 watts per channel.' ....... "

Z4! wrote:

Uhhh...if you re-read the exerpt from DFH it specifically says we do not recommended for the listener or the speakers. What a ringing endorsement of your position!

Jeff Matthews sez.

Ummm.... even if I don't re-read it, it still says the same thing. [:P]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I took my Proton D940 out of the closet to see how it would drive my newly-acquired Cornwalls. The answer: beauifully! It's capable of producing sound levels considerably higher than I comfortably listen to. And the sound is remarkably clean: silence between musical passages is . . . silent. Nevertheless, I'm now in the market for an integrated tube amp. Sugesstions are welcome, especially as to the comparison of modern Chinese-made gear with vintage gear such as H.H. Scott and Fisher.