Need advice on subs svs/ rsw

mtber101

Hey guys,

A little background.... my current setup includes:

Fronts: RB-75 x2

Center: RC-7

Surrounds: RS-7 x2

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V557

Right now I'm without a sub so I figured the biggest and or best thing I could do to my system is add one. I really like the SVS PB12Ultra/2 however I'm in a small two bedroom apartment right now... but only thru the summer (graduating). I'd rather stay away from buying a smaller sub now and then upgrading later.

I also plan to add RF-7's for the fronts and then move the 75's to the rear for 7.1. Which means I need some better power. And as of now I have the Outlaw 990 and 7700 in mind.

As everyone knows the reference line has been updated so I need to act some what fast on them. However I think the biggest difference would be a sub. And my receiver would really be under powered for the rf-7's.

What in the world should I do? What would you do?

Personally I would buy the rf-7's while they are still available at dealers. You already have the mating center channel. Moving the rb-75's to the rear will make a near perfect match.

Add the sub & components when you can. Those manufacturers aren't going anywhere.

Besides, you will be graduating before you no it. Congratulations!

JT

Yes the 7's have plenty of base for music. If you watch a lot of movies you will certainly want to add a sub.

IMO living in that apartment you won't be able to use the sub anywhere close to it's full potential because of the neighbor factor.

Also check into that mod DeanG does to the 7 series. Well worth the money. I will do it again when I add

7's to the back.

JT

Another vote for the RF-7s. It would complete a very nice system. You will need to add a sub later, but the RF-7s can handle bass duties till the sub is added. Good amplification will be needed to get the most out of the RF-7s.

In a 7.1 system, the speakers should all be timbre matched. Subs do not need to be matched as carefully.

Bill

RF-7's its is.... now I just need to find some for a good price. A dealer about an hour from here has a pair that were on the floor. He wants 1400 for them. However the one has some scratches on it and the other has a nice dent on the top left corner from shipping. What do you all think of that deal?

The RF7s put out a great amount of bass with a good amp driving them. I just tried turning my sub off, fronts set to large, and bass out set to front only. The bass was impressive for not running with a stand alone sub. This is just an fyi since your thinking about getting the 7s and no sub for a while. You won't be disappointed.

Oh and another vote to get the 7s [:D]