Upcoming move with Klipschorns

DTLongo

Hurricane Katrina's pictures got my attention last year here in seaside Maryland. So, in mid-March I am moving away from sea level some 25 miles inland and a little higher up to just north of Salisbury. MD. With me are going my 2003 Klipschorns and 2004 Belle, with professional movers, I hope the speakers arrive as mint as they are now. (They are in perfect condition.)

I have been using them in a 7.1 HT system with RS-35 sides and rears and a Pioneer 50" plasma HDTV that is a real video pleasure and which sits atop the Belle center. Yet in my experience, the Khorns + Belle seem to come into their own on music rather than movies. IMHO and experience, they are "wasted" on much movie not to mention broadcast/cable TV material. Partially this is because the qualty of soundtracks varies all over the place. And partially because the video attracts eye + aural focus on the screen, and the sound beyond a certain quality level becomes secondary. One aurally just does not "hear" Khorns as critically when watching movies as when listening to pure audio.

My new (older) house I am moving to does not lend itself to a full-bore Khorn home theater such as I presently have. So, an epiphany of sorts struck me a couple of days ago: place the Khorns + Belle in a dedicated audio-only "music room" arrangement in an area of my new house which lends itself to that with excellent corners, and set the HT up elsewhere in the place more compactly with more modest but good audio. For starters I can begin with a pair of classic Large Advents I have for the front mains, and the RS-35's plus a center channel speaker to be determined, depending on what will fit below the TV in whatever stand I finally wind up buying for it.

It should be interesting. Has anyone else had the experience of going back "down" from such an ultimate HT installation to a pure-audio one?

Tom, first, good luck with the move. I just moved my Khorns and Belle (and Cornwalls, and Heresies and KG4s and ...) and didn't get a scratch on them. I did, however, tell the packers and the movers that these things were vintage and that I drove over a 1000 miles to find them, and that kind of got through to them. I think if they know what your "hot buttons" are, they'll respond in kind. Be sure to see if the guys packing and loading the truck will be the guys on the other end too. If not, repeat story when the truck rolls up.

I know what you're speaking of when you use the term "wasted" on TV and movies. Some sound tracks are good though, but yes, the audio quality is all over the place. If music is your main squeeze, though, I think you're on the right track in going to a room with good corners.

I would, however, keep your Belle as a center even if it's overkill. It's mated well with the Klipschorn and the HF elevation is right at ear level when plopped in a couch or chair. Why not stay with it if you're interested in quality?

Using your B-Team for HT should be fine if it's not a huge deal for you.

Chris

• 5 years later...

Wow.... Intrigued.......

Allow me to play Devil's advocate..... You have a HT setup that many would dream of.......

Why not ensure that the sound quality is there? (Blu Ray)........ [^o)]

I suggest Heresies if you are going to downsize the HT; They truly are a great speaker and I love my HT..... (My music even more).

The Belle would provide a nice overpowering center (many love this); or an Academy; KV 4, KLF C7 would do nicely....