Klipsch Antiquarians - Information, please!

CaptnBob

I posted this topic a little while ago and got some helpful ideas, but I thought I'd come "back to the well" for some more.

Last month, I was helping set up a band (Farshid Etniko - if you're in the St. Louis area, and like world music I recommend them highly) for the radio station I work for, and noticed their bass player wheeling up a small folded horn. I mentioned "you don't see many Klipsch Rebels anymore." The bass player got all excited and said he'd bought the cabinet at a yard sale for $5 and really liked the sound, but that no one had been able to tell him anything about it at all. So I told him all I knew (built in the late forties to late fifties, lots of kit and home built versions, usually came with a University 1201 or EV SP-12b) and told him I would find out more for him.

So here I am, a supplicant at the fountain of knowledge in all things Klipsch. I've found pictures and plans for the Shorthorn, which is similar, but much larger. Does anyone have any more information about the Klipsch Rebel I can pass on to this guy?

Please and thank you.

Capt'n Bob

Cap'n Bob---Corner placement, horn-loaded vent at the rear, uses a 12" direct-radiating driver on the front? If that's the Rebel there are plans for it in Davis and Badminoff's "How to Build Loudspeaker Enclosures" published in the 60s. Great book, most old hornies had a copy, lots of Altec plans, Jensen Imperial plans, Bozak Concert Grand and others. I just had a set of Altec 825 VOT cabinets built from the plans in my copy. Also photos of John Hilliard's (the Zeus of the Horn Gods) awesome home Altecs with HUGE concrete enclosures built in to his 20' high fireplace. I too played bass through an old EV version of the Rebel long ago. Anyway the book is a must have for the serious horny and comes up on Ebay once in a while, look under Altec and Jensen.

Thanks - I've got the book (much cheaper through Audio Classics than on ebay). The plans are for a Shorthorn. The speaker I'm after is similar, but about the size of a Heresy.

Great book, by the way. I wonder what ever happens to all those enormous built-in installations. My old Sunday school teacher had a friend (sounds like an urban legend already, doesnt it) who built mammoth FAS air couplers into the floor of his living room. He claimed it had enough bass to knock down a linebacker ... as long as you hit the right note.

Thanks again,

Capt'n Bob