Help with Quintet III please

psc33

I purchased A Quintet III sytem with a Sub-10 subwoofer and a Yamaha Htr-5840 receiver , Any suggestions with the settings? Also how would people rate this system, Got it all for just under $1000, Is this a good deal? It sounded unbelivable at the store (best buy- had it hooked up on display, not in a special room) Hooked it up at my house and doesnt seem to compare to what I heard at the store went back and spoke with the salesman and he said it just needed to be tweaked, Hence the first above question. Im a first time Klipch buyer and hope I made the right choice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Not sure how you have it wired or what settings you are using in the Yammy for x-over. Does that Yammy have adjustable cross-over settings? If so, you'll want to set the cross-over pretty high - like around 120hz as that is the lower limit of the Quintets. Set all the speaker channels to small.

If you don't have adjustable x-over settings in the Yammy, set all channels to small except the mains. Then connect your main speaker outputs from your Yammy to the high-level inputs on the Sub10. Connect the front Quintets to the high-level outputs on the Sub10. Set the Sub10 crossover to somewhere around 80hz.

See if that helps.

Hi guys thanks for the info,

Doug do i do those connections only if i dont have the crossover or should I do it even if i have that?(Then connect your main speaker outputs from your Yammy to the high-level inputs on the Sub10. Connect the front Quintets to the high-level outputs on the Sub10. Set the Sub10 crossover to somewhere around 80hz.) Also there are a few other settings that i have no idea what they are. I will write them down and get back to you maybe you could help with that also.

Thanks again

PS Was this a good deal or did i get taken?

Sorry, my medication must have worn off before I finished my earlier post. If you take the option to connect the main speakers through the sub, you would set the sub x-over to around 120hz as that is about where the Quints fall off. I also forgot to say you would say Sub=No in your Yammy config - that way ALL the low stuff (including the .1 LFE channel of 5.1) will get routed through the main speaker outputs (since you told the Yammy they could handle it by setting them to large), and into the sub where it will strip off the low stuff and pass the stuff above 120 to the Quints.

You would not want/need to mess with all that if your Yammy has adjustable x-over settings for the main speakers that goes up to 120hz - only if you can't adjust or can't set it that high.

You also will want to calibrate the sound levels for each channel in the receiver. I guarantee you cannot do this effectively by using your ears - they will fool you big time, especially with the bass. Go to Radio Shack and invest another $35 or so in an analog SPL (Decibel) meter. Use that to set the channel balances so that all channels are at the same volume on the meter when playing the test tones in the receiver. You use the meter by holding it (or ideally mounting it on a camera tripod) in your seating area, with the microphone angled up towards the ceiling. Set the switches to Slow and C.

Without seeing your manual, I couldn't tell you exactly what those other settings mean (could they be more cyrptic?).

Only if you are using the speaker-level connection from your receiver to your sub. Say Sub NO because if it's wired via the speaker-level connections, you DON'T have a sub as far as your receiver is concerned -- it's not connected to the sub-out of your receiver.

Again, though, if you have a high enough cross-over setting in your receiver, don't connect this way.