What's a Great LCD TV?

MBM135

In the 42 to 50 inch range? Am curious what some of you like best. Starting to save up and wanted some opinions. Need to stay under $3000.

Thanks

If talking about true LCD flat panel, then $3000 is not quite enough for a good 42" to 50" unit, although there are some good units close to that size. First and foremost is the Sony 40" KDL-V40XBR1 LCD Flat Panel HDTV, this is a HD tuner built-in 720P unit which has a extremely sharp/high contrast picture for close to $3000. The second choice is a 1080P 37" LCD flat panel from Mitsubishi model LT-3780 you will be very impressed with the picture, I've seen this for less then $3000.

If you are thinking about LCD or LCOS RPT then at about the $3000 mark I would recommend the Sony 50" 1080P KDSR50XBR1 SXRD Rear Projection HDTV which you can get for around $3000 or slightly less. It's picture quality is awesome!

There are many LCD RPT 720P units that are a lot less then $3000 but stick with mainstream brands such a Sony, JVC, Samsung, Panasonic, Toshiba. Right now you can get some excellent buys from units that are being cleared out to make way for the 2006 models arriving soon. Also if you consider DLP I have also seen the excellent Samsung 1080P "Captain Kirk" 56" HLR5668W self standing design for $2899 locally.

We purchased the Sony KDL-V40XBR1 at CC for $2,999.00. We have been watching it for almost a month now and LOVE it!

No problems at all and a beautiful picture~

The Sony is expensive but I wanted an LCD due to the bright living room it was going in. (Lots of windows)

This LCD looked as good or better than ANY of the other flat panels on display at the time.

Highly recommend this one.

Take care:

Mike

I have been very pleased with my 50" Sony GWII. Although mine is an XBR, the non XBR versions can be had much cheaper. My father and father inlaw both purchased a 50" Sony GWIV from CC for under $3000, I want to say around $2400. I know I have seen the 42" GWIV for right around $2000 but that was almost a year ago. I am pretty sure One Call as some really good prices, but if you want to go local CC is a good choice.

Only down to my LCD is that it does not have HDMI and the black levels could be better. I have had it for just over 3 years, and (knock on wood) not a single issue. I just had to replace the bulb as it burned out. Other than that I love it!