ICS and firewall questions...

tpg

I just purchased a new Gateway laptop yesterday (Friday) and am trying to get it to "play nice" with my 6-year-old HP. I have a very antiquated Alcatel USB DSL modem that I use to connect to the internet. I currently have Internet Connection Sharing set up on my old HP, using the modem to dial out to the internet. My laptop and the HP are connected with a crossover cable. At present, the internet is working fine on both the laptop and the desktop. Except for one thing...

When I have the firewall software (ZoneAlarm Pro) running on the HP, I cannot access the internet with my laptop. I told it to use ICS by clicking on the Advanced button, but every time I set it up to run this way, my Windows task bar changes colors and I get an error message saying that I need to insert my Windows XP CD because a file has been changed to an unrecognized version and needs to be corrected. My internet connection then dies completely (although it says it is still connected). Restarting the HP and turning off my firewall fixes the problem.

So, at present, I am running without firewall because I cannot get ICS to work with my ZoneAlarm. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions? I feel very vulnerable without my firewall... Thanks all!

Have you tried inserting the XP disc when it asks for it? What happens?

You could try another firewall program and see if it works. If you have antivirus software, it may come with firewall software. Also XP service pack 2 comes with a firewall as well.

I wish I could help out more, but I don't have a lot of experience with software firewalls.

There's a bug in ZoneAlarm that doesn't play nice with XP's ICS. I use free version. It's been said that you should be able to lower the security level and that would allow ICS to work, but I was unsuccessful at getting it to work. The Pro version is supposed to not have the bug, but it looks like it the same issue. Best thing to do is to buy a router with a firewall and share the internet connection thru that.