Satellite Speakers; Synergy---->Reference how much of an improvement?

FirebirdTN

A few years ago I bought my first "HT" speakers; The Klipsch Quintet IIs based on how impressed I was with my Pro-Medias, which at the time just completely sounded BETTER than my "home stereo" system.

I also purchased a capable sub as well (not the matching Klipsch).

For movies, it sounded pretty good, but for music, they sound NOTHING LIKE the pro-medias. No big deal; I figured I would eventually purchase a pair of decent floor standing speakers for music only. I recently did (more on this in a second).

Back on the movies, I did often have problems with center channel vocal clarity. I tried all the usual things; position, calibration, bumping the center channel up 3db over the mains, etc. Everything I did was an improvement, although not a major one; more like baby steps.

I then decided to replace the center channel and did with a SLX from best buy. Again, and improvement, but *still* occasionally have trouble understanding dialog. I never really understood why...

Then I purchased my floor standers for music. They are sooo clear and detailed, that now I understand why....and from further reading on the net it seems that most "HTIB" speakers suffer from a mild mid-bass "boost" to give the appearance that the tiny speakers are larger than they really are. And when I listen to my HT speakers vs. my floor standers, they sound "muddy". Don't get me wrong, the Quintets are fine for what they are; I just desire better. BUT, the most important factor in my new upcoming purchase is dialog clarity.

Sooooo, that leads me to where I am now. Considering basically the Reference satellites.

My big question: I have heard over and over and over again, that small speakers just can't do what big ones can. I do understand that; I am not expecting monster bass from tiny speakers; what I am looking for is exceptional midrange/upper frequency response with perfect clarity in the vocal region. Just how much of an improvement will the reference satellites be over what I have now?

Will it be a monster leap, or will they still suffer from the same problem that most HTIB speakers do?

Also, how good of a match is the RVX-42 I think it is to the RSX-4s, instead of the normal RCX-4?

Thanks,

-Alan

-EDIT- I forgot to mention, due to my layout, Floor standers and Bookshelves are OUT of the quesiton. It HAS to be satellites only.

Hey Alan, are you using an HTiaB reciever? You may want to fill in/out a system profile for future reference.

Is your phase/polarity correct?

I'm confused as to how many SLX models there are, or is it only one?

I don't understand why, if you're having problems with dialog, you're looking to purchase new mains, when somewhere around 80% of it, is directed to the center channel. [:S]

Hey Alan, are you using an HTiaB reciever? You may want to fill in/out a system profile for future reference.

Is your phase/polarity correct?

I'm confused as to how many SLX models there are, or is it only one?

I don't understand why, if you're having problems with dialog, you're looking to purchase new mains, when somewhere around 80% of it, is directed to the center channel. [:S]

Sorry, I wasn't very clear on that...Being driven by a Sony 1000ES. There is only one SLX model as far as I know (the synergy series).

The reason I mentioned upgrading the mains when disapointed with the center channel, was *if* I replaced the center channel with the reference model (RVX-42), then I would want to replace the mains for good timbre match. I doubt the RVX-42 would match too well with the Quintets LOL. But overall, am satisfied with their performance for movies, it is the center channel that is giving me fits.

After exhaustive research, and a little experiment this moring, I found that I don't think a new center speaker is necessarily going to cure my problem afterall. I have two very serious issues that I have to contend with.

1) Speakers are too high, causing ceiling reflections, and possible TV screen reflections. Since my TV is inwall with a fireplace below it, not much I can do about this...

2) The BIGGER problem is although I have all speakers aimed and toed toward the "sweet spot", there isn't actually a chair there. This is just a modest little living room setup. What I have found is my center channel has a VERY narrow horizontal axis of good response. Get out of this very narrow horizontal field (which happens to be my case), and it sounds as if the tweets just stopped working alltogether.

From the research i have done, it seems that this poor horizontal off-axis response is prevalent with horizontally oriented MTM designs.

I'll figure something out...

-Alan

Is there any way to set the center between the display and fireplace ?...... Didn't think so.

Maybe try a phantom center setting? Some swear(#@&%*!) by it.

Or DIY a custom center with good off-axis horizontal dispersion.(even more swearing involved)