Speaker placement with corner TV

ECE4089

Greetings,

I'm close to picking up the Quintet system, but have a question about placement of the front speakers in a relatively small room <~11x13> where the TV must be in a corner.

For better or worse, the previous owner prewired the walls so that the satellite speakers are positioned on the left and right walls, so something like:

/..............TV/

/LF...........RF/

/................../

/................../

/LR..........RR/

/_________/

The primary seating is between LR and RR.

My question is whether the Quintets can be adjusted enough via the receiver to accomodate the fact that the fronts will not be equally spaced around the TV , or whether I should try to put the fronts on stands next to the TV.

Also, given this setup, any thoughts on best placement for the subwoofer . The easiest place is by the couch right under RR, but under LF is possible too.

Thanks,

ElShaddai

This message has been edited by ECE4089 on 10-25-2001 at 10:34 AM

Hi El - Your room arrangement is identical to my Dads, we installed a Quintet system in it this summer. We used a couple of speaker stands from Audio Advisor (www.audioadvisor.com) (Furniture Works, I think?) for about $90 to mount the front Quintets on. They came with a special bracket just for the Quintets, although we had to bend it a little bit so they would sit flat and not be pointed up. But that was a nit.

Anyhow, that let us put the speakers on either side of the TV. Then, we mounted the Left Surround up in the corner where you have LF in your drawing and the Right Surround in the corner where you have RR in your drawing. So we essentially maintained a square set-up, but rotated it 45 degrees to accomodate the TV placement. It's not ideal, as it would be with the TV against a wall rather than the corner, but it works.

We ended up with the sub under an end-table where you have LF. It would be better to have it in the front (maybe behind your TV). That is because the Quintets don't go down low enough to prevent the sub from having to carry sound in the 80-120 hz region, and that range CAN be localized so sub placement will make a difference.

Good luck-

DD2

------------------

Denon AVR-3300

Acurus A200x3

NAD 7155 Receiver Pioneer PD-F19 CD Changer

Sony CDP-C8ESD CD Changer

Denon 3000 DVD

Toshiba M784 VCR

B&O Beogram 1800 TT

Klipsch Chorus

Klipsch KV-3 Center