Dynaco SCA 80Q

oldenough

Hi everyone, I'm hoping that some of you might be able to advise me as to what i could expect from this amplifier. A friend of mine works at a local thrift store and is going to be putting it out for sale tommorow, it nice and clean, but he has'nt tested it. He said he was a little confused by the speaker set up!!?? So anyway i can have it for $35, if it do'snt work he will take it back, i guess that's a no lose situation. Anyone had any experience with this amp. Thanks in advance.

I should have said that i'm currently running a H/k 730 & sometimes a 430 through my RF5,s.

hey, If i recall, the 80Q is the ST-120 amp section with PAT 4 pre. It was set up for Quad stereo. This combo is not well like by today's audio community. But for 35 bucks, let your ears decide.

Prsonally, I'd take a st-120 and PAT 4 over many intergrateds out there.

Peace,

TommyK

It was a well thought of combination in its day - the middle seventies. It's a single chassis adaptation of the 40 wpc ST-80 and the PAT-4 with the "Dynaquad" circuit built in

The power amp section was known for anti-social behavior when stressed - the diodes failed. The guy who used to take the McIntosh clinics out carried a box of diodes for the St-120s and St-80s, and would hand them out when the amps started smoking on the test bench.

Still, for $35, how far wrong can you go?

Thanks for the input, well i picked up the amp today, in fact i only had to pay $25, my friend was concerned about some corrosion on the input plugs and felt $35 was a little to much,(hey who am i to argue). Gave it a quick clean up, cleaned all the pots and switches, vacuumed 35 years worth of dust bunnies,insects and what could have been some sort of nest, not knowing how hot this thing might run i thought it prudent to remove the fire hazards. Anyway it's in really nice condition, not a scratch on the face plate, no corrosion inside. So.. i pull out my trusty old Mission 780's, some decent cables, and my now retired Dual 1249 t/t with Shure m97Xe. What can i say!! i think i've found my new system for the back deck, this thing sounds amazing. Up until i discovered Klipsch i thought Mission speakers were the cat's meow, now i know that they were missing out on a decent amplifier. I can't wait to try it out with the Rf5's. Sorry i'm not much of a writer of reviews, but i like to think i know when something sounds good, and this sounds sweet, it's certainly going to give the H/K 430 a run. Well i'm going back to some critical listening. Aint it great to discover a new dimension to something that you really enjoy.