RP-5's and Yamaha HTR-5250 Receiver

john4u2c

Hi Folks,

I just purchased a pair of RP-5's and the above mentioned Yamaha receiver. My question is how do I hook them up? The Yamaha has 1 sub-out, so I bought a y-cable and ran that out of the sub-out to each lfe-in on the powered subs, and I ran the front speaker-outs from the Yamaha to the 'high' terminals on the RP-5's. Thats how I left it. Am I supposed to be using the line-in's on the RP-5's somehow? I dont even know what they are truthfully. The Yamaha I believe sends an LFE signal out of the sub-out. I'll be using it mostly for DVD's but some music too. Thanks for your help in advance. I appreciate it.

John

john, you did it right. don't worry about the line inputs. you want to use only the lfe inputs as they're

unfiltered. if you're not using any other seperate subs (like ttk) then set fronts:small & sub:yes in the yammy. the yammy then sends the low bass from the front channels to the sub out to the rp subs lfe ins.

as well when play a source with lfe that does the same.

leave on the gold straps on back or replace w/ wire.

if u can still get a refund on the Y-adapter u could take that off, run from the sub out to lfe in on one rp

& then from the lfe out of that rp to the lfe in on the

other.

This message has been edited by boa12 on 10-25-2001 at 04:00 PM

Boa12,

I just have one question then. You said to use the LFE connections cause the Line in's are unfiltered. But in my Klipsch manual for the RP-5's it says to only connect the LFE in's to a low pass filtered signal which makes me think that the LFE itself isnt filtered, but what you connect to it should be. And I have a tememdous amount of bass coming from them subs, so much that I have to set the reciever to a cinema setting that lays way off the bass. Again, thanks for the help.

John

john, no i said use the LFE ins because THEY are unfiltered. your receiver sub/lfe output is filtered.

your reciever filters from the source material the LFE & any low bass you direct to it's sub out. so i wouldn't use the rp line ins because they're also filtered & could lead to double filtering, cascading, etc.

if you've already turned the rp's output knobs all the way down to flat, then u could make level adjustments to sub &/or lfe in the receiver.

------------------

What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 10-29-2001 at 03:04 PM

Hey Boa,

Ok, that makes sense. As I was I saying, my have an EXTREME amount of bass because of the rp-5's. Im thinking its cause they are faced in towards my entertainment center, about 4 inches away. I have them this way cause I have 2 4 legged little friends with claws (cats) that I dont want to mess them up. Im thinking about getting grills to put over them and move them outward some. What do you think?

John

mike, yea i'd have the cornwalls in front in the main sys but no room for them up there.

u know me Smile.gif I have considered putting them in the lounge but i'd rather have them at least as rears in the main sys than use the rf-3 as rears. the corns & klf match up real well for the main sys. w/ my pre/pro

crossover at 50hz the corns provide some great low bass

from the rear.

ideally i'd have the corns in the lounge & another set of klf-30 or S6 as rears/surrounds in the main sys but my speaker budget is dry. Frown.gif

john, ya placement of those rp can make a real dif in sound. i had my rp subs facing out w/ about 7 ft between them & the side walls. experiment some w/ that

for the best overall sound to u. always tweaking to be done Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Yeah...that's what I figured! Smile.gif Hey, where are your CW's in relation to your couch. My room is not big enough for my Chorus's to be behind the couch (only 6") and they are angled at the TV as if the TV was the sweet spot. I'm curious how you have yours setup...

Mike

John - I'm sorry for getting off-topic from your original post but I think boa has answered your questions for you. Smile.gif

mike, i have the corns about 10 ft behind the couch in each rear corner angled in to right behind the center listening position. result may vary by room though.

john, your rp using both the line & speaker connections are in effect already biwired. but yea i biwired my rc-3 & would recommend it.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Hey Boa....Thanks. Isnt that already happening with the gold straps? Also, If I dont have rears yet, will setting the rears to large on the yammy lower the level of bass im getting? As I was saying, some dvd's especially music, the bass is very overewhelming, and I love bass, but its too much. Im not sure what they are set on (the rears) cause Im at work, but I just thought of that.

John

john, yea to some degree but using biwires can sound better. if u biwire the rc-3 then be sure to take the straps off.

i wouls keep the rears to none until u get some rear speakers. u could lose information. have u turned the sub output control in the receiver, bass level in it's equalizer all the way down & the bass contour knobs on the rp-5s all the way down to flat? keep tweakin Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page