Convert from Computer to Mobile?

I have a serious question.

I have a 5.1 computer system which I think is a BASH THX?

I purchased it approx 3 or 4 years ago.

Anyways. The amp recently went out but I love the sound of the sub still.

Is it possible to drop it drectly into a sub box, put an amp to it and put it in my Car?

Or is computer audio and car audio not compatible.

I recently bought a new Klipsch system so I have no need to fix the old amp.

Please let me know, I know it would sound great in my car.

Without knowing the T/S parameters of the driver in question, it would be difficult to predict how it will perform. Most automotive speakers are comprised of materials able to withstand the extremes of temperature and humidity found in cars. The size of the box is also critical to it's performance. You'll get sound, but how good for how long is the real question. Seriously [;)]

Im going to give it a shot.

I just realized that my great sound was comprized of 2 8" Subs so I will keep it in the original ported box and where the amp was I'll put a piece of plexi glass there. The amp i am goin to buy is :

»

225 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)

to power both 8's. Ill let you know how this goes. Maybey this will help others "recycle" old systems.

Hi Saint

The answer to your question is yes you can.

There is a caveat though you need to know about. The 5.1 sub is tuned to the 6th order, you don't have to know exactly what that is all about but how it affects what you are doing. In the 6th order design the port is tuned 1/2 octave lower than normal then the signal is electronically boosted to achieve flat response for the bottom octave let's say 25 to 50 Hz and typically there is a sharp low cut filter below 25 Hz.

So what to do, what to do, you have several options.

1) Slap the plexi on and run it. The bottom octave bass will be weak.

2) Same only tune the port 1/2 octave higher. Your bass cutoff will be 1/2 octave higher but still good.

3) Same as #1 but set your equalizer to boost 6Db @ 25-30 HZ then cut off below 20Hz. Good choice sound will be like you expect.

Go for it and enjoy!