Altec 846B for $800, should I?

Your pic is not coming out on my screen, so I cannot tell what they look like.

If they are in decent shape, $700 is fair. I have a pair of 846As that I use as my rears to Belles (three across front), and I love them. With the 846Bs, Altec improved the bass response by adding the ports. Vintage Altecs match pretty nicely with some Heritage speakers if you tweak them a little. You may think of them as a lateral move, but 846Bs are great sounding speakers.

You should get them and listen to them for awhile before you ever think about parting them out. The 811 is a nice horn, and I love its sound. The only possible shortcoming would be a little lack on the high end, and you could always change the drivers out to 902 hi-frequencies or convert them to three-ways - if you are not fully satisfied. Recently, I added K-77s to my 846As and now swapped them for Emminence tweeters, and I am very happy with the 846As.

Carl.

Thanks, I also just happen to have a pair of 77-M stilling around. These don't have ports in the front, I have not seen the backs. Should the drivers be 416 Z and 806s? If I look I plan to inspect the drivers as the boxes look DIY to me...the guy says they are original and from his grandfather

I'll try the photo again, never had a problem before....

Carl,

Looks like the photo still does not work. Can you sent me a PM with your email, and I will forward the guys email with the pic. If I PM you, I expect to have the same problem attaching the photo. It would be great to get your take on the photo as they just don't look right and I have not been able to find pics of the 846s

Jim

Still not seeing the photos. Yes, they should have 416Zs and 806As along with a version of the N-800 networks.

Too bad about the cabinets. Sounds like DIY. The 846Bs had one port on each side of the woofer, in the top third section of the woofer. 846As, like mine, have holes or spaces of each side of the 811s that act as the ports.

Needless to say, if these are DIY - worth substantially less than $700 for them.

Carl.