DIY - Cornwalls & Heresy's in Oz, Drivers and Components?

yank_in_oz

G'day,

Am looking to build a set of Cornwalls. These are impossible to get here in Australia.

Where is a good place to get new drivers? Would rather buy from a vendor rather than taking a chance on E-bay.

QTY8

K-34-E

K-57-K

K-79-K

The autotransformer for the midrange crossover seems difficult to find. Does anyone have a good source?

Plan on using two Cornwalls for left and right and Heresy for center channel. Have decided on rear surrounds.

Has anyone managed to shield these? lining the inside with metal.

If anyone has a good setup, what amps or other components you are using with the Cornwalls, please post.

Thanks!

glen

Given you are in Oz... the Klipsch Part's dept probably isn't a

great option. I would give Bob (user name : BEC) a

try. He offers friendly intnl shipping and has quite a bit of

Klipsch parts (new and tested used) in stock. He also carries

the transformers, new.

BTW, It may be easier to build a Cornwall I rather than the later

II. The Mid horn lenses will be the most difficult part to find

in either case.

Good luck...

ROb

Have

been reading a lot of different opinions between I and II, for and

against. The basic difference seems to be the K-77 vs the K-79, and K57 vs K55, but I haven't been to find any SPL curves to veryify 98dB vs 101dB.

As far as i know the SPL difference is more in the measuring technique (ie: marketing [:o]

) than an actual increase in efficiency. All the original Klipsch

heritage were limited by the efficiency of the bass-bin, and the

tweeter and mid were attenuated to match it.

Given the Cornwall II and I both used essentially the same

woofer/enclosure... they should have essentially the same

efficiency.

My understanding is the II series should have a flatter frequency

response but more people seem to prefer the original series signature

sound. I have not auditioned the two series side by side, so it's

hard to say but they are very similar overall.

BTW, I recommended the original series for practicality.... as they

were made for a longer period of time therefore there are more parts

around.

Let us know how your hunt goes...

ROb

Am looking to build a set of Cornwalls. These are impossible to get here in Australia.

I am at the moment waiting on a Australian price on the Cornwall llls (Or even if they are going available)

I should have a answer on tuesday.

I used to live in Adelaide (Thats untill i moved to the far north in Townsville right below were Cyclone Larry hit) my father still does he has a pair of 82 cornwalls.

If you are interested Ill let you know on the priceing of them.

Welcome to the Fourm

I would not think they would be that high. But you never know.

The Heresy 3 are $3 499 brand new

And the La Scalas are $9 899

So I am hoping they will fill that gap up.

http://www.internationaldynamics.com.au/

Go to this link for all you Australian RRP priceing on the Klipsch products that are imported into the contry.These are only RRP pricing I can buy a brand new pair of RF-7s for $3 500 (RRP $4 599)

From Truscott HI-FI in the city. So they have a bit of movement on the price.

Thanks, will have a look this week at Truscott, I think their is another place call BassLight or something like that they may be able to get parts but I don't they have any for the original Cornwalls, maybe spare parts for the Khorn and LaScala and Heresy... will call them next week and find otu.

cheers

glen

Thanks, will have a look this week at Truscott, I think their is another place call BassLight or something like that they may be able to get parts but I don't they have any for the original Cornwalls, maybe spare parts for the Khorn and LaScala and Heresy... will call them next week and find otu. cheers glen

They all use the same drivers except the Heresy bass driver. I think its just the cabints and Xovers that are different.

I called the guys in Melbourne, International Dynamics and the sales guy said they did not know when any goods would ship from the states and when they did it would be 6 to 8 weeks. He suggested calling back in three weeks and he had no idea of the stock being sent or how much the Cornwall 3's would be.

Also there is another place Bass Light and Sound, I sent them an email and they are going to see if they can locate any parts as well.

How did you do with Truscott's?

cheers

glen

I How did you do with Truscott's? cheers glen

Truscott's is good I used to know a good bloke that worked there. He sold my father his first Klipsch Home Theater System when he worked for Hifi Accostics (used to sell Kipsch but went bust) dad lost about $3000 worth of klipsch gear when that happend because they did not have them in stock (so I think he felt sorry for us.)

Dad also bought His pair of 82 cornwalls from truscottes back in 83.

They have a bit of Reference speakers in stock from what I remember.

Dont bother calling internatinal dynamics they will just give you the run around I cant say I have had a good dealing with them yet. A shame really. When I bought my Center and Rotel gear they took for ever to ship it then said they had lost the order and then said it would be ship the next day, after a week, we called back to find out were they were, LOST THE ORDER AGAIN!!!!!!

After about 4 and half weeks I finally recived them not bad since i spent allmost $9000 though them.

2 months later same thing I wanted to get a pair of RB25's for my brothers birthday after 2week we ring up and they say there is no stock and that a shipment will arrive in 2 day and to ring back then (we ask if there is any RB25's on that shipment and they assurred me there was) Ring back and they tell me sorry not on that shipment next one is in 6-8 weeks.

By this time i was so annoyed that I cancelled the order and bought him a pair of B&W 600S3 and recived them from the supplier to the store in 4 days.

Even now as I wait for the price on the cornwall 3's I have had my Retail store ring back and tell me that they are $18,500 I told them to try again (Inter Dyn had quoted him the K Horn price) then i get a phone call today and the price is $3,499 confused i questioned the price (know that the Hearsy 3's are close to that price) so my retail store call them back, then calls me back and says they quoted him the price on the Hersey3's and they will get back to me on friday.[:^)]

This is unbelivable that keeps happening consistantly.[:@]

Klipsch really needs to give them a Kick up the arse and tell them to pull there finger out.

It is only how much I love the klipsch sound that I have kept coming back to this company to upgrade my system.

I cant imagine how many custmers have been lost to the bad custmers service of international Dynamics i would have gone to B and W and not started saving to build a Heritage Klipsch System.

Sorry about the long post I had to get that off my chest.

Ill let you know as soon as I get a price on the Cornwall 3's[:)]

Klipsch does not support DIY, they imply you have to go through external vendors to obtain parts.

Here is message from Klipsch

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Glen,

I do apologize for you not receiving a response.

Our parts dept only sells replacement parts for

speakers.

Your suggestion of wanting enough parts to build 6

Cornwall's is something our Parts dept is not

permitted to sell and this is policy.

Klipsch does not sell parts to people to assemble

themselves.

Our parts dept. does not ship out of country.

Parts can only ship US only, parts would need to

be obtained through a local distributor.

--------------------------------------------------

Steve Phillips

Home / Professional Audio Tech Support

Klipsch Audio Technologies

1-800-554-7724 option 2 for Tech Support

The Ultimate Sound Experience