fairchild 245/248 preamp review(article)

Thanks for posting these, Chris! I once owned a 245 mono pre, so long ago I'd forgotten the model number until now. I shifted to a Marantz 7C instead of a 3-piece stereo pre like the 248.

It had a tape head input, like the Marantz 7C -- a very low-level input for an unamplified signal direct from an RTR tape head ("tape monitor" was/is the term for pre-amplified tape output). The Ampex 934 was the only RTR playback I ever heard of that didn't have its own electronics, and of course I had to go and own one of those, too.

I look forward to reading this vintage article.

Larry

Lovely! Forgot to mention, I had one (initial mono days) of the smaller 255 amps, EL-34's and 30 or so watts. I thought it had a very nice, musically rich sound, as, say compared with the cooler sounding Marantz 8B. Great finds, and a beautiful preamp!

Edit: It was a 255-A (see next post).

Larry

that amp would of been the 255a and rated at 30w.the 255 which preceeded it was rated at 25w and used 6l6 output tubes.i have yet to come across a pr of 255's although they seem to pop upon ebay more than the 260's or 275's.i did have a single 275 which i regret selling now but at the time i needed some money for a mx110 to go with my mc30's.the 260 which also used 6l6gc's for output tubes was later on modded to use el34s and branded the 260r(revised) this was a factory mod that i never heard about until i saw it posted on a recent ebay auction.i may try this mod one day as i have a pr of nice gec kt77's that iv'e been waiting to use but i've only got the one pair and to find another set is going to be costly.until then i guess i stick to the sweltana winged emblems that im using now.

thanks again for the comments.regards,

chris