Vintage Carver 500Watt 2 channel amp

theplummer

Wardsweb, It really doesn't matter to me if its a mono amp or a two channel. I can configure the sub either way. My sunfire theater grand II has two RCA outputs and one XLR output. I can always wire the sub(s) any way to work with either type.

I plan on using probably 16 Dayton 15IB drivers. This is at the advise of Dr, Who. I plan on building a false wall three feet in from the exterior wall on the front of the HT. I will then build a inset box laying on its side with 8 drivers inside positioned on the sides of the screen. The center channel will be set in a pocket behind the screen. This should give the 20 sq. feet of baffle space required for each driver.

Depending on availability I plan to either use Khorns or Lascallas as mains.

I am currently using a Sunfire Cinima Grand Signature (400Watts on 5 Channels). I must say this is the best sounding amp I've ever heard on any Klipsch Heritage. I've have Chorus 1's as mains, Academy Center, Heresy II's for rear. Recently I hooked a buddy's Lascalla's on the mains of my HT. They sounded so much better than I had ever heard them. He usually uses a 60 watt NAD amp. I even tried my ADCOM GFA-6000 to see if that would help his speakers. They are usually very fatiguing in the Midrange. The sunfire cured that problem.

I guess I prefer SS amps, as I've never ponied up to the price of Tubes, and am not real enthused about maintenance requirements of tubes.

I know most won't believe it, but I do prefer using the XLR cables as they are much quieter than the RCA jacks, at least on the Sunfire.

I would really like an amp that has lots of headroom, as this has been my experience with the Sunfire. The added watts seem to create a depth to the soundstage that I have never heard before. I know an infinate baffle sub does not require lots of power, but I would rather have more power than needed, so the power that is used will be quiet and still have plenty of headroom for the really strong passeges in movie playback (I.E. Ladder 49, awsome explosions).