Klipsch Synergy III Complete System Help!

erickoegle

If I still lived in that apartment, I would definately

invest in a power conditioner, then again, if I still lived in that

apartment, it would be because I am too poor to afford a power

conditioner.

haha, too funny...

Btw, power conditioning isn't really necessary for the wierd power

drops (and a surge protector will have no effect whatsoever). The power

supply in most electrical devices are able to compensate anyway - as

long as it is short term. Every piece of gear is built with different

variances in mind so mileage will vary.

The biggest reason for going with a power conditioner is to lower the

noise floor. The problem with most electronic gear isn't so much the

amplitude variation of the power source, but rather phase shifts and

non-zero grounds...which can often be percieved as a "grainy" effect in

addition to the noise.

Spikes are of course always a problem, but even a simple power-strip

with the circuit-breaker thing is going to offer most of the protection

that the fancier products provide. If lightning strikes close enough to

cause damage to your sound equipment connected to the power strip, then

chances are you are going to have other bigger concerns than not being

able to listen to music (like having a roof over your head...).

>>> I was chatting with an associate at BestBuy and he said that I should go with monster cable brand. He said that even though the acoustic research brand is 12 gauge, the wire in the monster cable is more pure of a copper and thus a better conducter. <<<

>>> What do you all think? <<<

Too funny! You are kidding, right?!

This is the classic "we need to make margin on cable, so let's tell them anything to make them buy it."

It's a bold faced, unethical attempt to take advantage of people who know no better.

Buy the heavier guage, and just as good copper stranded wire from the hardware store and let this be a lesson of what big business will do to make money. ...ie LIE, and tell other uneducated sales people to LIE for them.

haha i know, i just can get a massive discount on them through a friend. So its like barely any money difference at all between the 2 wires. I was just wondering if there was any truth behind the monster cable brand having a more pure copper. I know when building a computer it is always best to go with a thermal paste that has a highest percentage of pure silver compound because it will conduct heat a whole lot better.

I have a like setup; a full compliment of Syngery KSF spakers (manufactured in the late 90s). I can tell you what the salesman at the high end audio store in town told me:

The Klipsch are so efficent, a decent 16 guage cable would work fine, and it would be unlikely anyone could really tell the difference between that and a pricier cable.

The power supply in most higher quaity equipment is built well enough and handles power in such a way that an expensive power conditioner would be redundant. A quality surge protector is all I'd need.

I'm not an expert, but I tend to trust any salesman's advice when it results in me not buying something.

As for a receiver, I have a Marantz SR 7500 which with tax came out lower then your $1,000 price range. It seems to be a near perfect match for the Klipsch, producing a warmer sound without making the speakers sound too 'bright'. The only downside: No HDMI