are powered subs a particularly trouble-prone product category, or am I jinxed?

jdm56

I would probably recommend against DIY subs unless your financial position requires it, and having a DIY sub is better than nothing.

A lot more goes into building a sub encloser than slapping boards together, and I doubt unless you were extremely knowledgable on the subject, could you could build something that would compete with a top notch SVS, for example. Quality subs often weigh 150+ lbs for a reason, and a lot of thought and expertise goes into the cabinet construction. In fact, they're built like tanks.

You do realize that your SVS only has a single brace in it, right?

It's all .75" MDF construction which is good, The 150+ lbs comes from the sheer size of the enclosure and those hefty Plus drivers.

Any-who... [;)]

Actually, it's 1" mdf with a 1" thick brace. Not to split hairs...

I think the purpose behind this was that if you added much more bracing or mass then it would be immovable. It would probably have been impractical to build a sub that you can never move without 4 other guys around. It's a pain in the rear to move as it is. You don't need a much more stable enclosure than that.

Seems to me that mounting identical drivers on opposite sides of the cabinet would take care of a lot of the resonance problem, without having to resort to massive cabinet thickness or sophisticated bracing. Regardless, your subwoofer cabinet looks superb, Jay! I hope you've got a stout furniture dolly to move it!

I know that the massive bracing and thickness is over kill....... So [;)]

And I made the dual subwoofer not for volume but since it is a sealed application, I wanted lower distortion and having identical forces cancelling out

Oh wow, did you add that picture after the fact jay? It wasn't there

when I posted...very nice. I don't remember if I've seen that one

before.

Having opposite mounted drivers also reduces the tendancy of the

cabinet to walk around the room...didn't some of the older sunfires

have this problem?

No, But for some reason, I think the size of the picture it does not show or is resizing that takes quite a while..... Actually that is an older pic [:P]

yep, you needed to weigh the sunfires down or do what theear did and tape them to the floor, I doubt my sub will move? 150 pounds mdf, 100 pounds speakers..... 250 pounds? not moving I think.