Can I use iFI RSX-3 speakers on a HT receiver with the crossover set at 80 Hz

crew86

I have read some of the forums that say that the iFI version of the

RSX-3 speaker is different than the regular RSX-3 in that the crossover

circuits have been modified or removed since the iFI amp in the

Sub-woofer does the crossover filtering.

I would like to use (2) RSX-3 iFI speakers as the rear surround

speakers on my Home Theater system. The front speakers are RB75's

with a RCX-4 center. The receiver is an Oknyo TX-603X which has a

configurable crossover frequency currently set at 80Hz. My

thinking is that the receiver is doing the crossover so that it doesn't

matter that the RSX-3 does not.

Question - Are the RSX-3's suitable to be used as rear speakers with

this set up? Will I do any damage to them if I hook them up to

this HT system?

how does the rsx4 sound with the rb75? i mean you putting the best horn 1.75 with some rsx4? I mean it must sound totally different. eck I think the 22 ounce magnet weighs more then the 4.25 inch speaker on the rsx4

Also the ifi speaker has no crossover so if set to large they will hit xmax quite fast. You need to set them to small but since they are down to 93 hertz I believe, you will make them over excursion quickly.... Best not to use them at all. Try them but if they keep bottoming..... don't leave it.

Question - Are the RSX-3's suitable to be used as rear speakers with

this set up? Will I do any damage to them if I hook them up to

this HT system?

It was already pointed out in past discussions that the iFi RSX-3's have no crossover filter to roll off bass frequencies that could possibly cause damage to the small woofer. Still if your using this speaker in a 5.1 small rear speaker setting as Jay mentioned with the receiver perhaps they would work without damage.

To be picky and accurate, RSX-3 speakers are fine as rears, but they are not supplied with iFi. A variant of RSX-3s is supplied and that variation deletes the passive crossover network from the standard RSX-3.

Depending on the HP crossover slope provided by your receiver, the speakers supplied with iFi may be just fine as rears. If the slope is 12 dB/octave or greater you're certainly safe. If it's 6 dB/octave, you may choose to not use them as rears.

To be picky and accurate, RSX-3 speakers are fine as rears, but they are not supplied with iFi. A variant of RSX-3s is supplied and that variation deletes the low frequency blocking part of the passive crossover network from the standard RSX-3. Also the mid/tweeter crossover is different.

Depending on the HP crossover slope provided by your receiver, the speakers supplied with iFi may be just fine as rears. If the slope is 12 dB/octave or greater you're certainly safe. If it's 6 dB/octave, you may choose to not use them as rears.

Fixed it for you, Bob.[:)]

I would recommend setting the rears to small and using 100Hz or 120Hz for the setting on the receiver. Really I would just recomment getting RSX-4's to match your center channel.