Good deals NOW on many 3 way electronic crossovers on ebay

efzauner

I just picked up 2 Pioneer CD-635 2 or 3 way electronic crossovers on ebay for under $15 Each. MSRP is over $150. Pioneer must be discontinuing or some store is liquidating.

They are intended for car use, and need an external 12 volt power source, but they have adjustable cross over frequency, and level, but fixed 12dB/decade.

This is a cheap way for anyone to try out by or try amping.

just do a search on Pioneer CD-635

here is one of them

http://cgi.ebay.ca/PIONEER-CD-635-3-WAY-ELECTRONIC-CROSSOVER-NETWORK_W0QQitemZ9718141506QQcategoryZ79840QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• 4 weeks later...

you lucked out...I been checking since seeing your post and have not scored.

good timing....lots of discussions going on right now about b-amping, tri-amping, active crossovers, etc .

....lots of discussions going on right now about b-amping, tri-amping, active crossovers, etc .

I've found that the dbx DriveRack is a great unit for building a system. It's very flexible and will allow you to create most any configuration imaginable.

I use mine for portable systems, in order to give me the flexibility to adapt to any room, with a variety of speakers. But I can see where it could be a great tool for those who want to try playing with individual components and crossover points. It's like an Electronic Erector Set for Crossovers.

is it a good score like the $15 each for the pioneer ones mentioned, new in the box.....fo folks that just want to do an intial assestment before going higher end?

is it a good score like the $15 each for the pioneer ones mentioned, new in the box.....fo folks that just want to do an intial assestment before going higher end?

A 12v power supply is no bigggie. But.....

The only crossover points are 200, 500 and 10K, with 12db slopes. I'm sure that's fine for car audio components that are designed for such use, but when you start looking at HT and 2 Channel equipment, I don't know how valuable such a piece would be.

If it was variable, like my old VFX-2..... Then you'd have a toy to play with. [;)]

The Crown VFX-2. was $300, or so, back in the seventies. It's a stereo two-way or a mono three-way. Not high tech, but very flexible. Today, a dbx DriveRack PA is around $400 and has everything from Real Time EQ, to compressor/limiters, to mono subs, to variable slopes, to... just about everything. LOL

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.... I'm wondering if anyone else has a variable crossover they've used that might be found on eBay, for a good price?

the 10k is a problem.

400hz at 24 db per octave and 4500hz at 36db per octave would be ideal....an additional low pass at 60hz at 12 or greater db will be a plus

was thinking of slapping something together using a few pairs of those dynaco PAS pre-amp stuffed boards that sell on e-bay.

also thinking of a tube xover, after finding a pretty good simple schmatic for one.

but car xovers...if it has the right cutoffs...would do fine intially.

they actually have variable xover freqs

Low to mid is variable between 50 and 200 or 500-2K

mid to high is variable from 3k-10k.

So you can have a 3 way a la typical heritage between 500-800 and 5K . I hope that my LaScalas can work with the 5OO hz bass to mid.

slope is not adjustable.

or you can use it for pair of lascalas, with a sub, the main bass bin and a mid/high keeping the standard passive network.

This is not a piece luxohifiesoterica, but at $30 a pop delivered to my door, It was a deal I could not pass. They are not used YET. I have not clue as to why so many of them suddenly showed up. Perhpas Pioneer obsoleted them and was liquidating stock via ebay.