Evelyn Glennie is Beautiful (Music Rec.)

Paladin

Last night I had one of those wonderful listening periods where the music and the recording really clicked...and of course with Klipsch. So I thought I'd throw this artist and the recording out to you music lovers...

The artist is Evelyn Glennie, and the album is "Her Greatest Hits"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000003EU4/sr=1-4/qid=1146225842/ref=sr_1_4/102-4180951-1562541?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=music

Evelyn is a percussionist. I dabbled in concert and marching percussion my four years in high school with the Center Grove Marching Band. However during that time our percussion instructor learned that Evelyn was going to perform a Clowes Memorial Hall at Butler University here in Indianapolis. As a class we went (on one of those rare high school field trips). Her performance was amazing. Shortly thereafter I bought this album. However over the last 8 years I sort of forgot about it untill I was going through my CD's last night.

I've heard this CD before on different speaker equipment...most of it electrostatic or planar magnetic in design. Last night though I heard it on Klipsch Horns...of the Tractrix variety found on my RB-81's. Have you ever seen the forest through the trees?

It was simply beautiful.

The CD is either "drum and cymbal" or "keyboard" type tracks, a little full orchestra peices with Evelyn as the soloist sprinkled in. Having heard some of these tracks live in a concert hall, and having played many of the percussive instruments...they sounded absolutely live and present, transparent and stunning. With viceral impact that only our horns can impart. Evelyn's masterful performance is exceedingly dynamic. Her marimba solos go from barely audible pianissimo to fortissimo. Cymbals sound only as I've heard them on Klipsch. I would have swore that someone had dragged a concert grand marimba, a vibraphone, and a xylophone into my little room and started a concert. In fact I could find the instruments in the sound field and could almost see Evelyn moving from the low register to the high. I can even tell you what kind of mallets she chose and when she switched them, or that her marimba had a key-string buzz in one of the low keys (probably a Low A)!

I could have listened to that album all night, but of course I needed to come in today and write programs for the Klipsch website so...perhaps tonight :)

In any case this type of material on such a good recording is something I think all of you Klipsch fans would enjoy...I can only imagine what tubes and Heritage speakers would do with such ear candy...it's too bad this album can't be found on vinyl.

Obviously I'd highly recommend this album [;)]

(Since we haven't gotten a quick profile button hack up yet...)
System: Pair RB-81's, Pair RW-8's (in stereo, crossed at 50 Hz), Aragon 18k, Aragon 4004 Mk-II, Sony DVP-NS900V, LAT IC's, Audioquest Type-4 SC's.

Evelyn Glennie has been profoundly DEAF since the age of 12! See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Glennie.

She apparently can hear some sounds, but cannot distinguish many of them including speech. Interestingly, newspapers almost never mention this, I suppose because she requests it or maybe because it's PC. Thanks for the link!

Larry

Yup...that she is. As I recall she performed barefoot. While she can hear most of what is being played to some extent, she also felt the music through the floor. I believe she talked about it at the concert (yes she doesn't have to sign, she speaks just fine, with a scottish accent no less, and even sings sometimes too).