Quintet System Receiver

trachselbj

Had the ProMedia 5.1's not been so hard to get, I probably wouldn't be asking this question. Now that there's been a little time to ponder, I'm thinking of upgrading from a ProMedia 4.1 to a Quintet system. I'll have to do it piecemeal, purchasing from "Ubid" and the like, but my question concerns the added need for a receiver. I'm primarily a computer person and would like to use my soundcard to control the Quintet system. Could somebody recommend a good but inexpensive receiver, if there is such a thing, that would allow me to do this. I built a new box over the summer and the souncard I'm using is Creative's Soundblaster Live 5.1. Thanks.

I've decided to get the quintet system as well, but I'm thinking of saving up for a receiver that's gonna make the most of the quintet's potential.

I'm trying to decide whether the I should go with the Denon AVR-2802 (90 watts x6, 8 ohms, <.05%THD) or the AVR-3802 (110 watts x7, 8 ohms, <.05%THD). Since the quintet system is rated for 100 watts continuous and the above ratings are RMS wattage ratings for the Denon receivers, I'm a little perplexed with how an extra 10 watts of continuous wattage would affect them.

I've read that more wattage gives the system more "dynamic headroom," but are there other issues I should know about?

More to the point, I'm seeking clarification as to how the continuous wattage ratings of speakers and receivers correlate.

Oh, one more thing, do you think the KSW-15 would be excessive? How about the punchiness between the KSW-15 and the KSW-12? I prefer punch over boom.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Tron - While speakers state a continuous wattage rating, few people could stand to listen to them with that amount of wattage going into them continuously, especially Klipsch because of their sensitivity. Take your Quintets, for example. They are rated at 90db sensitivity, which means 1 watt of input measured at 1 meter from the speaker will produce 90db (under lab conditions, etc...YMMV). Theater reference volume is 85 db at the listening position. You can see, then, that it only takes a few watts to create a lot of volume on a continuous basis. I remember reading somewhere on this board that we typically use just 5-10 watts on input on a regular basis.

The "overpowered" Denon receiver will work just great with Quintets. It is unlikely you will ever actually tax the continuous, much less the the maximum, wattage ratings of either. The extra wattage capacity is necessary to handle transient (read temporary) loads that dynamic music places on a system.

DD2

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 11-01-2001 at 01:44 PM

Thanks for the reply DD2.

Exactly how much "dynamic headroom" can I expect for 20 watts more per channel? Is it really that noticeable? Are there other characteristics that the added wattage may improve upon?

This message has been edited by Tron on 11-02-2001 at 12:19 AM

Just recently I picked up the Sound&Vision Holiday Guide and quickly turned to the receiver section and looked up Denon's models to see what it said. The guide is full of errors concerning the AVR-3802. The guide states that the receiver only has 6 channels when it actually has 7 and that the power per channel is 105 watts when its actually 110 watts per.

So, I flipped through it a little more and quickly placed it back on the newsstand after finding a few other miscellaneous yet blatant errors.

This message has been edited by Tron on 11-06-2001 at 10:04 AM

Hi Tron - I somehow missed your 11/1 post. I didn't communicate it very clearly, but my comment about the extra wattage being helpful wasn't really related to the extra wattage between the 2802 and the 3802. It was more a general statement that having an amp/receiver with more RMS power than the speakers are rated for is not a problem and it comes in handy to handle the transients. Sorry for any confusion that caused.

I was trying to illustrate that you should not be concerned over the 110wpc of the 3802, if there are other features of that unit that make it more desirable to you than the 2802...Smile.gif

Doug