Adding Subwoofer

Sandovalmike

Hi there! Well,I just want to know how to connect properly an additional subwoofer to my H.T. because it already has it´s own sub from a amplified output,and I added a KSW 12 to the LFE output...but I tried to add another powered subwoofer using a Y connector in the same output,but didn´t work fine...then tried to connect it using wires from the front speakers output but it did´t sound as powerful as the KSW 12 alone...is there any way to connect both powered subs without each other stealing power? May it help if I disconnect the original(non-powered)sub? Thanx for your Help!!

Guest BobG

You shoud be able to connect two subs to the line output of your unit by using a Y cord. Subs don't "consume" any signal from that connection so hooking up a second one should not make the first one reduce its output.

Thanx for reply Bob G. I tried one more time to connect both subwoofer(ksw-12 and an old magnavox)with the Y connector and I realize that the Magnavox produces a lot of air(you can feel it about 10 feet from the air output!)and make a noise that maybe affects the sound of the KSW. Then I think I may make the test with a sub in a better condition.

Most important thing after the ideal pspots are found for the two subs... make sure both have PHASE adjusted to work in tandem,and not cancel eachother.

I heard systems with multiple subs when a war was fought,a subsonic mutiny! LOL

So after one of the subs is perfectly in phas with the mains...play beep bass and adjust the second one.The most deep bas soutput = closest to the ideal phase setup.

Ha! I know,I must be shamed to talk about an old Magnavox subwoofer in a forum like this...and I really do! Well,I bought it used in 20 dlls. but i think it's not really bad(it's 8'' and 100w,but the speaker suspension is already loose),I connected it to my H.T. to help improve the performance of the bass produced by the included subwoofer and it worked fine. But recently I bought a Klipsch KSW 12 and it's completely a different history! Then now I have the three subwoofer connected(thanks for the replies that helped me)and it really rocks...I'm wining the bass war against my neighbour...for now!!!

Ha! I know,I must be shamed to talk about an old Magnavox subwoofer in a forum like this...and I really do! Well,I bought it used in 20 dlls. but i think it's not really bad(it's 8'' and 100w,but the speaker suspension is already loose),I connected it to my H.T. to help improve the performance of the bass produced by the included subwoofer and it worked fine. But recently I bought a Klipsch KSW 12 and it's completely a different history! Then now I have the three subwoofer connected(thanks for the replies that helped me)and it really rocks...I'm wining the bass war against my neighbour...for now!!!

Watch out or DrWho may jump in and lecture you on the negative effects of multiple subwoofers. [;)]

Multiple subs are only good if all work in tandem and are placed close to one another.Or you will have cancellations and effects that will be impossible to correct .

Bass war,good nobody is in one with me. [A]

Well,I know what are you talking about,because the first time that I connected the third bass(yeah,the famous Magnavox)the bass power came down drastically,and the trouble was the phase so I fix it and matched better. I have the three subs in the same corner of my bedroom. I have the opportunity to buy an used Klipsch SW8 II,what do you think about this sub...and with it's kind of connection,do you think that it can be hooked to the LFE...Thanx!

post-22149-13819297954948_thumb.jpg

I agree with Arthur. I traded up from an SW-8 to an SW-12II years ago.

The SW-12 has been going strong for a very long time now. It is used removing the lows from the rear KG-2.5's.

I guess the little SW-8 would be ok as a fill in, maybe next to your seating position?

Or as said above........

Take care

Mike