RF-63 opinion

ottscay

I found a Reference dealer in Wyoming (thanks for the handy website, Klipsch!), and got to listen to a pair of RF-63s in a surround setup. The room was not exactly ideal for audio, and the speakers were not set up well (not towed in, etc), plus they hadn't had more than a couple of hours breakin time.

Caveats out of the way, I liked what I heard. The highs were much smoother than my rf-7s. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade in my '7s for the rf-63s - less extension and less presence with the 3 six inch woofers - but now I am very interested in hearing the rf-83s.

Hopefully next week when I go to Milwaukee I can arrange to find a dealer with the 83d in stock to audition. At this point I am seriously considering getting an rf-83 and rc-64 front end.

don't count the rf-63 out, but I have the rf83 and they hit much deeper due to more volumer per square inch of cone. Even though the rf-7 has more cone surface area, the rf83 is bigger enclosure. Also the RF-83 has a 1600 hertz crossover as opposed to the rf7 2200 hertz so the cones have to do less high end.

The rf-83 have loosened up on me as it is nearing around 40 hours but still has the same klipsch sound that we love. Do try to listen to the rf83 but remember they sound different breaking in and make sure they are toed in cause I noticed even a little bit off axis causes a noticeable difference listening to classical music

Also if you wanna see the rf-83 I posted alot of pics in the general forum, thread name "I bit the bullet and brought the rf-83

Well, the rf-63 is counted out for me; they sounded quite good, but I won't part with my beloved -7s unless I am getting a noticeable upgrade. My better half loves them too, but has noticed some harshness and listening fatigue in the 7s (with decent amplification), hence they interest in the rf-83s.

I did see your thread and photos...that's what sent me on my quest to audition the Ref IVs. I wasn't seriously considering the -63s, but their highend performance sold me on the need to seriously consider the -83s. If they sound as good as I hope, I may have them by the end of the month.

Of course I'll give a full review if I decide to get them.

• 3 years later...