JBL 2404's instead of K77

know what you mean...years back I used to be able to unwind the coils from both ends a half a turn, and after reversing the mounting polarity, was able to salvage many diaphrams using the teeny weeny wires.   now i can barely see the teeny weeny wires.

ooo, that's clever....Imma have to try that on one of my old voice coils.

if you try it...don't forget to use a small nail polish brush and brush on some nail polish remover to loosen up the varnish that holds the wiires together on the coil.....after letting the remover set for 30 seconds..re-wet it and unwind while it is still wet. if you break it off, just go around again (average voice coil is 72 inches long). keep track of your phasing...for every half radius you unwind...phasing is reversed by 180 degrees due to having to reach the solder terminals.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I ordered the 8 ohm versions, and I just measured the three of them with an ohm meter to make sure that's what I received. I get about a 4 ohm reading on them, so I think that I'm safe. I also measured the three tweeters that I'm already using and they also measure about 4 ohms. A 16 ohm diaphragm will measure about 11 ohms. Using an ohm meter is this way is an easy way to check them without having to take them apart.