Considering switching from Quartets to SP-1

Bruno

I currently use Quartets as my front speakers, a KV-3 center and KSB-2.1's for surrounds. I am thinking about replacing the Quartets with SP-1's. I have owned the Quartets for about 10 years and love them (especially for music), but the Quartet footprint is a bit large for my wife's taste. Naturally, my wife would prefer to replace the whole set up with a Bose AM-15 or a Polk RM7600 set-up (my preference over Bose) -- but ideally I would rather not replace all of my current speakers.

What am I giving-up (or gaining) if I replace the Quartets with the SP-1s? Will the SP-1's match with my surrounds and center? Other suggested changes? Currently my center speaker is on top of a big screen (only place for it) and is quite a bit (maybe 40 inches) above the top of the Quartets. Even with the additional height of the SP-1's, the SP-1's will be too low. Is it advisable to try to raise the SP-1's (cinderblocks?) or would I give up too much bass?

Traditionally I have listened to music more than watching home theater, but with a young child and another on the way, find that we end up watching more TV than listening to music (and music is now usually listened to at fairly low volumes). Nevertheless, I still want a good music set-up. We do not yet have a DVD (another wife issue) and only occassionally watch movies (too many interruptions with a young child and another on the way). A separate subwoofer is out of the question (wife again), unless it is part of a satellite system.

Unfortunately, although I have a fairly large family room, the TV/Stereo set up is in the corner (diagonal to the corner) due to the logistics of the layout (fireplace on short wall, sliding glass window on 1 whole wall, couch on 1 wall and kitchen counter/entryway on the last side). Accordingly, the front speakers are close to the walls and in corners.

Finally, any ideas on what the Quartets (circa 1991) may be worth (unfortuantely, receipt/manual lost long ago)? Thanks for any advice and sorry for the long message.

Hey Bruno - Welcome. A couple quick thoughts on the Quartets vs. SP-1. I believe you will hear a very different sound between them. The Quartets are a 3-way system, with a horn tweeter & midrange, and a standard cone woofer (with a passive radiator, which lets it get pretty darn low, as you know). While the specs for the SP-1 say it is a 3-way, it isn't really, not in the traditional sense. It's a 2-way with a built in sub-woofer. Look at the huge differences in the crossover frequencies (the point where the speaker hands off frequencies to the next driver). The SP-1 has midrange handling 125hz to 2300hz, the Quartet has midrange handling 650 hz to 7000hz. That means you have one driver covering the important mid-band frequencies, without having to balance between 2 drivers like the SP-1 does.

The SP-1 is designed to use the Synergy center and surrounds: SC-1 and SS-1. It may not match the KV-3/KSB as well as the Quartets do.

40" from the Quartet horns to the KV-3? Wow, that must be some tall TeeVee!! I have my Chorus speakers on 1 layer of cinder blocks to get the horns closer to my KV-3. I think it sounds better that way.

Your Quartets will typically bring about 50% of MSRP ($1050), give or take. I've seen some Fortes (bigger than Quartets) go for $500-600 recently, though...

If you can, bring home the SP-1s and do a sound comparison before you sell the Quartets (and let you wife listen also Smile.gif).

DD2

------------------

Denon AVR-3300

Acurus A200x3

NAD 7155 Receiver Pioneer PD-F19 CD Changer

Sony CDP-C8ESD CD Changer

Denon 3000 DVD

Toshiba M784 VCR

B&O Beogram 1800 TT

Klipsch Chorus

Klipsch KV-3 Center

Klipsch SS-1 Surround

Klipsch KG4

Klipsch KG3

Klipsch Forte (2pr)

Velodyne CT120 Sub

Sony KP-43T75 RPTV

Monster HTS2000

AudioQuest Copperhead Interconnects

AudioQuest Slate Speaker Wire

Various other interconnects/cables

• 1 year later...

If you want to measure footprint, include the total area of the satellite stands AND subwoofer and WHERE you are going to place your sub. Ask the wife if she minds looking at poles sticking up on either side of the TV and a large black cube in the corner. (And remind her that she can't put candlesticks and planters on satellites!) Then, how much will you have to compromise optimal sub placement for aesthetics? BORROW a subsat system from a friend. (you can probably set them up side by side.) Listen to SW Episode II with your quartets. The most notable difference that you will like, at first, is the extra bass, when called upon, of the sub. But the Quartets hold their own in the bottom, IMO (I own a pair) AND give you STEREO BASS, which is important to me. Without a side by side comparison, you will never know the real difference. Then, put on some reference music and listen to both systems again. Don't be hasty, as you will be stuck with the sub-sat for years to come and you might build yourself a "cave" system private listening. Then you will have another problem which can't be solved here. Happy listening.