Colter finds BASS!

colterphoto1

The bass was so loud and the termite infested house was so shaky even a loud fart shook the pics off the blood stained walls!

Or someone has a dozen Tumults powered by quite a few kilowatts,blasing at near dB drag race competition levels that no living creature can endure. [:P] And this would be totally pointless and pathetic.Then yes the gypse walls will flex to the point of shaking WELL installed pics off a wall. [:$]

Can someone educated tell me how can I knock pictures off my walls.So far all my attempts have ended in failure [:(]

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DrWHO,

You have knocked pictures off the wall!

LOL

It's all about hitting the resonant frequency of the picture that is hanging there...it really wasn't that loud nor that low. You just gotta hit it right and you'll see it increase in its sympathetic vibration. The reason it happens on the "insane bass scenes" is typically because the bass is held at a decent level for a long period of time (allowing enough time for the picture to vibrate more and more over time).

Ronin was another movie that knocked the pictures off too...great rocket explosions [H]

EAR brings up an interesting point about the rooms involvement in deep bass. My home was built in 1950. The room my system is in is on the main floor with basement underneath, so the floor joists transmit quite a bit of 'floor shock' to the seating area, this contributes to that sickening feeling in the pit of your stomach. My prime seat is actually directly across from where the THX subs are double stacked, so we are on the same couple of joists- rattles my bones.

I'm going to experiment with putting them in the right rear corner- behind the RF LS, and see what changes. The corner of room should be stiffer so the floor won't flex as much but I'll pick up boundary gain from the corner. Damn those things are HEAVY!

Also the walls in this room are 3/4 knotty pine so are much stiffer and resonate differently than drywall. The ceiling and other walls in the house are two layers of 1/2" plaster board so are 1" thick.

I think what I had rattling was some candles in glass jars on top of silver platter on glass top of LR CW. Have to get some felties in there to soften up the vibrations.

Michael

DrWHO,

You have knocked pictures off the wall!

LOL

It's all about hitting the resonant frequency of the picture that is hanging there...it really wasn't that loud nor that low. You just gotta hit it right and you'll see it increase in its sympathetic vibration. The reason it happens on the "insane bass scenes" is typically because the bass is held at a decent level for a long period of time (allowing enough time for the picture to vibrate more and more over time).

Ronin was another movie that knocked the pictures off too...great rocket explosions [H]

Yeah,in case you wonder my last "question" was sarcastic. Anyone who claims to knock pictures of his walls should take courses in PROPERLY MOUNTING HIS PICTURES. I will mount your pics in your house using standard tools and your pics will no longet be KNOCKED OUT and OUT COLD off any wall.And this even if you decide to use two of the most capable 18" woofers in a IB configuration. [:P]

EAR brings up an interesting point about the rooms involvement in deep bass. My home was built in 1950. The room my system is in is on the main floor with basement underneath, so the floor joists transmit quite a bit of 'floor shock' to the seating area, this contributes to that sickening feeling in the pit of your stomach. My prime seat is actually directly across from where the THX subs are double stacked, so we are on the same couple of joists- rattles my bones.

I'm going to experiment with putting them in the right rear corner- behind the RF LS, and see what changes. The corner of room should be stiffer so the floor won't flex as much but I'll pick up boundary gain from the corner. Damn those things are HEAVY!

Also the walls in this room are 3/4 knotty pine so are much stiffer and resonate differently than drywall. The ceiling and other walls in the house are two layers of 1/2" plaster board so are 1" thick.

I think what I had rattling was some candles in glass jars on top of silver platter on glass top of LR CW. Have to get some felties in there to soften up the vibrations.

Michael

It is no secret Colter the room is the most important "component" in sound reproduction.As room acoustics can make a setup a breeze or a nightmare for the same installer.

In my small room the gain in the lower range of the audible spectrum is simply amazing.WIth a subwooefr placed around a meter off the right front corner you get huge room gain at listening position.I have to run my subs often at 2 on a scale of 10 and at minus 12dB on the receiver to have a "flat" response at listening position.

A single RSW15 will belt very close to 120dB at 25Hz in this room at listening position.I move this RSW15 to my large room and still optimal sub spot and guess what the SPL drops like a stone.

In some rooms you need heavy DSP use to correct the major flaws in other next to nothing.

At one time, I had all my subs hooked up to see what they could do,The bass was so intense my teeth rattled,and I broke my front tooth,[:)] So I had to sell one sub on Ebay to get my tooth repaired,But my pictures on the walls were ok,I listened to the Ear way back in other threads and used screws.[:D] LOL

Paul,

Forgot to fess up about the tooth cracks I have! [:$] Yes the life of a bored technophile/audiophile with over a ton(seriously and sadly) of gear.

My dentist wonders why all the root canals,I keep quiet about the subwoofer abuse going on.I guess I hit the resonant frequency of my large teeth! LOL