Just bought Forte II's ...

Hello,

I just bought (but have not received yet) a pair of Forte II's. Should I just go ahead and upgrade the crossovers or are the stock crossovers decent? If going the upgrade route, does anyone sell pre-built upgrade crossovers (contact info would be great).

Thanks!

Sure! Those speakers are now at least 15 years old or older. Forum member Popbumper (aka Chris Munson) has a beautiful custom made PCB based plug and play network (K-stack) for those so you can keep the originals completely intact. It will make a large difference, go with the best caps your wallet can afford in the MF & HF sections. The LF is not as critical.

There are a few reviews of his networks if you search the forum, contact Chris for pricing.

Frog,

First - welcome to the Form. When you receive them, hook them up and listen, see if you really need to upgrade right away. With the three different sets of fortes I've had- I haven't had to do anything to them......... Good Luck, Post Pics and Enjoy the lovely sound!............

Frog:

A network upgrade will help substantially; I have done a number of Forte and Forte II networks for members, with excellent results. If I can assist you, please let me know. If not, enjoy the music - it's still a Klipsch!!!

Chris

Thank you both for the advice. The last time I heard the Forte's is when they were selling new. A local audio shop in Erie PA had them set up with Proton equipment and I remember listening to some Glenn Miller Orchestra thru them and I swore I would own them someday. I never heard such dynamic big sound come out of any speaker. I was just floored. About 6 speaker systems later I finally bought a pair! Can't wait to relive some of those memories.

I will wait on the crossovers until I pass judgement on the mid/treble purity. If there is any grain then I may take the plunge into the aftermarket corssover market.

Thanks,

Frog

Congrats on your Klipsch purchase and welcome to the madness.

Many people here upgrade or make repairs to crossover networks. I'd follow Bill's advice and just enjoy them for a while first. But if you do decide to upgrade, I would highly recommend PopBumper's KStack crossovers. They have top grade components and will make the originals look like tinkertoys.

Michael

Frog:

I grew up near 22nd and Greengarden, so YES, I was aware of that place - though by 1990 I had "long left" Erie, so I never visited that shop. I do not remember Dean Smith audio - though I guess the reference to Mace Electronics dates me.[:$]

There were also a few stereo shops up on Peach street, near the mall, as were some shops IN the mall. Fun stuff!

Chris