RF-62 installation help

Hi folks, home theater is something new to me, don't laugh, I've used a pair of Bose 301 for the past 20 yrs on my Harman Kardon HK490i

I just bought the RF-62 Home Theater System and was wondering on best possible locations to install my speakers, especially the RS-52, should they be behind the listener, or side-by-side ?

I have a Pioneer plasma 43inch installed on a 10 feet wall, the room is 15feet long

my RC-62: should they be under or over the screen ?

my amp is a Denon 2805

one last thing, do I really need MonsterCable banana plugs ? waste of money ?

thanks

p.s. Luv Indy, I get there every year for F1 racing, and have a good time at SlipperyNoodles, and other great spots

Mike

Montreal

For RC-62: Keep your center to be closer to the level of your ear in listening position as much as posisble. Dunno whether it would be above or below of your screen [;)]

You don't need those banana plugs at all. The benefit of banana plugs over barewire isjust good for keep moving the speakers around.

Thanks for the tip, figured those plugs would just make Monster a little richer.

How about the rear speakers on a 5.1 setup should they be installed behind or beside the listener, any difference ? It is now the time to decide before the drywalls are installed.

I'd head to the HT forum for speaker position tips, but here's my take on things. If you have a long narrow room (theatre style) where the side walls are fairly close, position rears on the back wall.

If the room is wide (2ch soundstage style) where the rear wall might be close to seating. position surrounds on side wall aiming in, or next to seating position facing outward toward side walls (to reflect back to listener) or behind seating, bouncing up off of the ceiling.

I prefer the center over the screen if possible, this reduces reflection off of nearby floor, keeping the dialog cleaner.

Michael

Thanks for the tip, figured those plugs would just make Monster a little richer.

How about the rear speakers on a 5.1 setup should they be installed behind or beside the listener, any difference ? It is now the time to decide before the drywalls are installed.

Place the RS52's beside the listener and about 6 to 7 feet high. Are you planning more than one row of seating? If so still place them on the sides so that both rows are covered for surround sound.

here's what Dolby recommends for the positioning of 5.1 speakers

http://www.dolbydigital.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html

I have RB-5s as surround that they are all directed and it makes a big difference on positioning. However if you have surround speakers like RS would be afffect less. Yet you can set up the whole house now so you can position them wherever you want anyway [;)]