re-coneing my speakers

mark

I have two, blown up, ripped out, non preforming (yet bad to the bone) speakers out of my hershey corners. The no # on the back of the speakers is K-33-E, on the back of the cone the number is 451520-1 ( or 451520-i ) so im thinkin that these bad boyz are 15' inch speakers. any way, i beleave my best cours of action is to have them reconed? i live in the bay area. Any suggestions? Mark,.....

agree, buy new if available...in this case...it's available

if you DIY, low end reconing kits run about 40 bucks each, shipping another 10 bucks each, glue/removers/containers proablly 15 bucks more, your time???, health issues with the chemicals???

if you send out, prices average 89.00 each plus shipping to re-cone.

All of my past recone jobs have been under $40-$60 all costs included.

Most recone kits come with their own glue, cost around $30 and then you've got shipping costs. It's just a matter of shopping around for the right deal.

I wanna say my first attempt at reconing took about 6 hours. But after doing a few I've got it down to like 45 minutes.

sounds like you were doing it correctly to include breaking down the magnet motor assemply to inspect for coil fragments...which i find often.

i have not seen a kit with good instructions...a few companies will sell you a vcr tape for 30 buck.

I'll see if I can't find the instructions that came with my last kit and then try to scan the picture into the computer. It was like 3 pages long front and back with tons of pictures - I do things differently now, but it was nice to have something to follow verbatim and have it work in the end.

Inspecting the motor for fragments is a very important thing to mention...Once I was in a hurry to rebuild a driver and skipped over that step and ended up blowing the driver like 2 hours later. At least I had a spare voice coil... [:(]

i made it a habit to always inspect for fragments after a re-cone job of a recently reconed speaker I was given that rubbed....upon initial inspection..I kept pulling coil fragments out...decided to break it down to all the sub componets and was amazed how much of that stuff was in there and where it can hide.

Most recone kits come with their own glue, cost

around $30 and then you've got shipping costs. It's just a matter of

shopping around for the right deal.

Have you done any K22's and do you know where (if any) matching kits are available?