Klipsch Pro pa Speaker Line

DEAM

Chipp4---Several theaters near me use the HPS-4000 theater system which used Klipsch speakers, I never heard better theater sound. Some of the pro stuff looks very interesting and would work very well in a home and I'm surprised there isn't more interest in it on this board. The Klipschies seem to more into good looks than the Altec and JBL guys, many of whom don't mind big nasty gray 825s or ugly black 4560s with naked horns and drivers atop them.

TBrennan

I have and still wonder about the possibilites of pro equipment in home use. I think one problem with the large format horns might be the throw distance. In most home settings you are fairly close to speakers. I know at the EAW website their new line array 900 series warns about hearing lose being to close to speakers which are putting out about 140dB.

Do you mess with pro equipment at home?

Chipp4--Good quality prosound speakers can be integrated into the home, my gear is small-format (1" throat compression driver) Altec and JBL prosound gear. This whole horn speaker thing has it's origins in motion picture theater sound and JBL and Altec often used the same compression drivers, horns and woofers in their home horn speakers as they used in their "small" motion picture speakers. Horn throw is a function of the horn's directivity not whether the horn is small format (1" throat) or large format (1.4" and up throats). Generally in the home a wider dispersion (short throw) horn sounds better than a narrow dispersion (long throw) horn. Since horns are available in a wide variety of patterns it's hard to generalize what will sound right to someone. I have many sets of horns ranging from 60 degrees to 130 degrees in horizontal pattern, I think 90 degrees sounds best in my setting. Note that many hornies use large format compression drivers in home situations, the 1.4" Altec 288 and 2" JBL 2440 family are quite popular as is the 2" TAD 4001. No doubt that some prosound speakers, those with narrow patterns, could absolutely fry one's ears in a home (as I found out trying to use JBL 075 "bullet" tweeters) but it's more a matter of the specific gear chosen than the type.