What to do???

darylomer12

After reading a few recent posts, i realized i made a huge mistake. I bought all my speakers and reciever before our new home addition was finished. We have about three more weeks until it will be finished. I wired it for 7.1 with 12 gauge speaker wire. My system so far is :

Pioneer vsx-1015tx

Pair of RF-3's

Pair of RS-35's

RC-35

Here is my problem. I have about 800 dollars left. I obviously need a sub. I am thinking of getting the following three- Sub 12- RW-12 SVS PB10ISD. They are all right around five hundered dollars. This only leaves my with 300. I also need two rear surrounds ( possibly rb-25 or 35). Anyway, my main problem is i really want to get the RC-7. I knew that when i bought my RC-35, but my wife said it was too much money. I paid 300 for my 35. Should i sell it and use that money plus my left over money and get the RC-7 and wait for my rear surrounds for a while? Or should i keep what i have now and get some rears for 7.1? Our new room is mostly for movies only. It is 16x26 long. Thanks for all your input fellas.........

Oh, i forgot to mention that i sold my Rb-35 so i could get my RF3's, I ended up losing about 45.00 after shipping. I wish i would have sold my RS-35 and kept my RB-35. Oh well......

For starters I would recommend foregoing the 7.1 for now...you can

always upgrade later on and your pre-wiring job keeps it an open option.

As far as the rest of your funds...what percentage do you spend

listening between music and movies? Right now I'm inclined to recommend

putting that entire $800 towards a sub as it should result in more bang

for your buck. But if you listen to a huge proportion of movies then

you'd probably be better off with the RC-7 as it is apparently leaps

and bounds better than the 35.

As far as subwoofer I'm really a big fan of the Sub-12 for the money, but I don't have much experience with the other two.

I say dont worry with the 7.1 for starters. Nothing is really decoded in it anyway so all your getting are like ghost channels. Stick with what you have. and get the SVS sub. You will never beat that sub for the money. Right now SVS is back ordered on the black ones thoe. Im waiting on one my self. The RC35 will be fine also.

Thanks for the input. So i guess i will bag on the RC-7 for now and go for a better sub. I will prob look at SVS. I heard the Sub12 at Best Buy and i like what i heard. But then again, they tried to charge me 100.00 for a consultation. I went there to ask them how to connect banana plugs to speaker wire and they wouldn't show me. Instead, the guy helping me said for 100.00 they could have a guy come out to my house and walk me through where to put my speakers. And for more money, he would actually hook up everything when i was ready, I think i can figure it out myself and save myself some money. I was going there to but some speaker wall plates and banana plugs so i figured i would just ask how to connect everything. Anyway, thanks again for all your input. You guys rock!!

Daryl

Connecting speaker wire to banana plugs is real easy...Each banana plug

is slightly different, but they all involved unscrewing a screw,

sticking the wire through the hole, and then tightening down the wire

with the screw. You do not need to purchase banana plugs, but they make

life a ton easier for when you swap cables around all the time.

But if you plan to keep things more permanent (ie, not moving stuff for

a year), then you might as well use bare wire. If you unscrew the fat

colored binding post cap you will notice that there is a metal shaft -

and if you look at the right angle there is a hole going through the

shaft. All you need to do is twist your bare wire in your hands to get

it nice and skinny and then push the wire through the hole (kinda like

threading a needle). And finally tighten down the cap so that the wire

doesn't come out. Technically this makes a better electrical connection

but on the downside it's harder to do.

When purchasing stuff from Best Buy do NOT purchase the service plans

and do NOT purchase anything else they try to shove in your face. And I

would highly recommend avoiding letting them come into your home and

install stuff for you...what they don't want to tell you is that the

installers they hire have very little if any training at all - tis a

most depressing reality when someone thinks "professional help"

involves "knowledgable help". 90% of the time they just read the

manual and follow the directions.

Connecting speaker wire to banana plugs is real easy...Each banana plug is slightly different, but they all involved unscrewing a screw, sticking the wire through the hole, and then tightening down the wire with the screw. You do not need to purchase banana plugs, but they make life a ton easier for when you swap cables around all the time.

But if you plan to keep things more permanent (ie, not moving stuff for a year), then you might as well use bare wire. If you unscrew the fat colored binding post cap you will notice that there is a metal shaft - and if you look at the right angle there is a hole going through the shaft. All you need to do is twist your bare wire in your hands to get it nice and skinny and then push the wire through the hole (kinda like threading a needle). And finally tighten down the cap so that the wire doesn't come out. Technically this makes a better electrical connection but on the downside it's harder to do.

When purchasing stuff from Best Buy do NOT purchase the service plans and do NOT purchase anything else they try to shove in your face. And I would highly recommend avoiding letting them come into your home and install stuff for you...what they don't want to tell you is that the installers they hire have very little if any training at all - tis a most depressing reality when someone thinks "professional help" involves "knowledgable help". 90% of the time they just read the manual and follow the directions.

Thanks Doc!!! I will definately go bare wire. The only time i plan on unhooking any speakers is when i get enough funds to upgrade, (RC-7). Now i will go to the SVS website and order my sub. This is getting fun. Hopefully i won't get bitten by the upgrade bug for a while..... Daryl