Do you recognize this Ortofon tonearm?

Kudret

I know that it is an Ortofon tonearm, but that's all I know. I
did a google search and came across a similar arm that was
SMG-212. That one had a triangular base, whereas mine has a circular
base.

ortofon1.jpg

ortofon2.jpg

Is this a good tonearm? How does it compare to SME 3009? Thanks for any help.

Kudret

Can't tell you too much on this one - I have only ever seen one with a different head-shell and a Denon 103 mounted on it.

Its a 1960's design tonearm and it is high mass. Matches great to either the above or the SPU you have mounted already.

If you want to explore other carts for it I would suggest low compliance MC units with a relatively high tracking force (2 g minimum) - a Kontrapunct might work OK for example.

Probably plays fine with the right setup.

Thank you Max and Scott.

Max: Denon 103 is the first on my shopping list. My preamp can handle

LOMC cartridges now. I will look into Kontrapunct as well.

Scott: I finally located some Ortofon documentation on VinylEngine and

it is a SMG-212. You are right, there is no bias adjustment at

all. That was one of the reasons I asked if this was a good

tonearm?

SMG212.jpg

Look at the price! The last on eBay went for close to $400.

Kudret

Kudret,

Looks like a great score. I wonder if the lack of anit-skate adjustment has something to do with these arms coming from the mono era. The good old AR XA had an arm with no anti-skate though and it was in the stereo era for sure.

Can't wait to see what you think of the Denon. This should be a good heavy arm for it.

Note: You're guarantee has expired.

Note: You're guarantee has expired.

LOL. Probably Ortofon would gladly take it back and FULLY refund my money.

I will look into Kontrapunct as well.

Max, disregard that. If I get a Kontrapunkt C, I would have to revise my respone in What piece of your system did you spend the most on?

thread. I think Denon 103 would be a good start for now. But again, two

years ago I wouldn't imagine spending that kind of money on most of the

equipment in my signature.

Kudret

Kudret,

I wont mention the ZYX airy 3 then.

Just on the anti-skate matter I think that the reason it is absent it related to the mass of the arm and the tracking weight options. The forces in play for anti-skating are actually very small - I would guess it is insufficent to cause tracking problems - one of the advantages of the design.

It is funny to see tracking weight options upto 10 grams - you dont see that too often anymore. Reminds me of the really old players that used to recommend putting pennies on the top of the cartridge to make it track properly.

Now if you really want to have some fun see if you can track down an old Decca cart. There are people who swear it was the best cartridge ever made - without a cantilver of any sort - zero compliance. Supposed to work great with high mass, high tracking weight arms.

Kudret,

I wont mention the ZYX airy 3 then.

Just on the anti-skate matter I think that the reason it is absent it related to the mass of the arm and the tracking weight options. The forces in play for anti-skating are actually very small - I would guess it is insufficent to cause tracking problems - one of the advantages of the design.

It is funny to see tracking weight options upto 10 grams - you dont see that too often anymore. Reminds me of the really old players that used to recommend putting pennies on the top of the cartridge to make it track properly.

Now if you really want to have some fun see if you can track down an old Decca cart. There are people who swear it was the best cartridge ever made - without a cantilver of any sort - zero compliance. Supposed to work great with high mass, high tracking weight arms.

Great point Max, about the arm mass and tracking force. There wouldn't be any need for bias control with that kind of mass.

Allan,

2 questions:

1. Do you still have it?

2. Would you be interested in selling it?

Basically I have never found one except on ebay from suspect sellers. I am never happy buying a cartridge 2nd hand from anyone other than a really trusted source.

On the off-chance of the above 2 questions I thought I would ask....

I had it sitting around here for YEARS and even offered to Kelly to try out at one point, but I finally sold it on ebay last year. I think I got about $350 for it--not bad at the time.

The guy who bought it on ebay is a Decca freak and dealer! I guess mine was a nice, old and therefore desireable model--I bought it used back in the mid-1980's.

The is the fellow who bought my Decca:

http://www.warrengregoire.com/hifi-stereo-phonocartridges.htm

Less than a month ago I tossed mine in the recycle bin. The bearings were galled out in both axis (pl. axis?) and the internal wiring had lost a ground. I never heard it. It came on a turntable that saw many years service at a Dallas FM station. It was truly "worn out."

DRBILL

DrBill,

Actually when I bought the turntable, the seller was very apologetic

about the tonearm. He predicted that I wasn't probably going to use it.

It was laying around in my basement for a while and I am glad I didn't

toss it.

Kudret