Don't jump to conclusions!

risingjay

So last Saturday I noticed some crackling out of the tweeter. First thought....blown tweeter. Checked to make sure the mid was fine and it was. Hooked the speaker up to the other channel and the problem was still there.

After suggesting that other people in the house might have had the music to loud I ordered me a pair of tweets that same day.

So which brings me to the present. Just wanted to double check everything. Changed out some tubes bla bla bla, stuffed horns with socks and guess what? The mid sounded like it was blown!

I looked in back of the speaker and WHALA! Negitive speaker (banana plug) wasn't in all the way. Problem solved!

I was playing with the speaker positoning early Saturday morning and must have made it lose.

So what I learn? Don't blame others without ALL the facts! Don't assume. And most of all, patients.

Looks like flowers are in order.

When something like this happens, you need to apply problem solving steps similar to the scientific method:

1: what do you observe.

Answer: Intermittent crackling from tweeters at all volume levels. Tweeters look physically ok.

2: Create a hypothesis of the problem: What has happened or changed in the system since the last time you listened:

Answer:someone else playing loud; The moon is in Virgo; I moved the speakers alot ; neighbour's bratty kits stuck pencils in the tweeters; Someone played it loud etc...

3: Test the hypothesis on the observation: Which hypothesis would best cause the observed response?

Answer:

Not moon in Virgo...

Not pencils (permanent at all volumes, and may see marks)

Maybe playing loud.

Moving speakers. Maybe, could cause wire disconect.

4: Devise more tests to to check hypothesis and eliminate some: Ask if someone listened loud. Ask if kids where here. Test if mids and woofers also are intermittent. Check speaker connectors. This narrows it down to connections.

5: Establish theory/rule for future: If tweeter or mids are intermittent, probable cause is bad connection.

I learned this method at work many years ago as part of a Kepner Trego problem solving course. It basically applies the scientific method to problem solving. I have used it many times over.

During the course, examples where given of real incidents, where people jumped to conclusions and put all resources down that path without proper problem solving methodology.

One can also use criminal investigation as a prime example of this method, or see how the innocent get put in jail when you ignore evidence that does not support your conclusion.

When something like this happens, you need to apply problem solving steps similar to the scientific method:

I agree wholeheartedly. I normaly am a great problem solver. But I guess in this case I had a major "brain fart".