Just got'em from Costco, a couple of questions-

Hi all,

Just took advantage of the killer coupon deal at Costco, and have played them for a day or 2. A couple of questions/comments:

1. What you all think about the 'decreased high-end' comment in some reviews? I'm still breaking mine in, but it is obvious that these speakers reveal a lot of detail and are likely not muffled in sound.

If anything, I'm inclined to believe that the sound is more natural than anything, with maybe just the slightest bit of 'brightness' missing (though brightness is often used as a negative term.)

It doesn't bother me, because I know the detail is there. I can listen at low volume and still make out all the words, instruments, etc.

2. How does the break-in process affect these speakers? The improvement is more dramatic with some than others, just curious what to expect. My placement right now is not ideal at all, so I'm not stressing the sound quality too much right now. I like what I hear so far, and I love the price!

Thanks,

Steve

I find the bass gets a bit stronger and as your ears go hunting for new sounds, you will hear a deeper bass that was not present in other speakers before.

decreased high end? oh that silly magazine, yeah most companies just put the treble and bass buttons but the bass needs to be smoothed out as why the specs look different with the bass button. BTW he was wrong, normal bass is center not off!

Brightness depends on te soundtrack that you are listening to not really the speakers. Also one thing to note, the ifi is not a near speaker, it is meant to be heard 4 feet and beyond and not really meant for the closeness of computer speakers that use near field tweeters. Try it, just put your chair a bit further away and it will loosen up. That is why i try and put my speakers as far away on my desk from my ears as possible also pointed at me. It is important for the horns to be pointed at your ears as I find the horn tweeters are subjective on placement. You will miss alot if they are not. Remember the horn tweeters were made for 4 feet and beyond hence the poor off axis imaging close up like a computer speaker would.

Hi all,

Just took advantage of the killer coupon deal at Costco, and have played them for a day or 2. A couple of questions/comments:

1. What you all think about the 'decreased high-end' comment in some reviews? I'm still breaking mine in, but it is obvious that these speakers reveal a lot of detail and are likely not muffled in sound.

If anything, I'm inclined to believe that the sound is more natural than anything, with maybe just the slightest bit of 'brightness' missing (though brightness is often used as a negative term.)

Right to the point, very natural sounding with slight bit of brightness missing. Like any speaker system you can tweek the EQ if you want it a bit brighter, but I like it neutral for accuracy.

2. How does the break-in process affect these speakers? The improvement is more dramatic with some than others, just curious what to expect. My placement right now is not ideal at all, so I'm not stressing the sound quality too much right now. I like what I hear so far, and I love the price!

The bass gets a bit stronger and cleaner after many hours use, but Jay would say its your ears that are adjusting also [:)]

Great deal for $149! Sharp looking 2.1 speaker system with iPod compatability.

I can go downstairs to my den and plug my iPod into my 7.1 surround sound system with my SVS subwoofer or I can plug my iPod into my new iFi system in my living room and be just as happy with the sound. That's how good the sound is. All for $149 plus tax.

Worth EVERY penny.

I can go downstairs to my den and plug my iPod into my 7.1 surround sound system with my SVS subwoofer or I can plug my iPod into my new iFi system in my living room and be just as happy with the sound. That's how good the sound is. All for $149 plus tax.

Worth EVERY penny.

just a note but the ipod does only stereo or two channels. When you have 7.1 it is being upmixed and not really 7.1. Only DVD-A and SACD have dedicated 5.1 meaning that each channel is recorded separately and not mirror images. It sounds ok most of the times but the thing is that real music should be hear in stereo, as it is more like concerts where the music is coming from just infront (directly, indirectly gets complicated)