Those of you with overheating problems...

dnewhous

I am currently suffering with the Altec Lansing ADA890s. Your sympathy is much appreciated. I am considering replacing them with the ProMedia 4.1s but it seams the system has overheating problems. One guy says he is on his 5th set. There will always be defective units, but those of you with heating problems - how loud and for how long are you driving your system?

I feel for you...

IN reality it effects very few sets, especially the newer sets. The problem happened and only 3 or 4 cases have actually been dangerous, the rest just not safe for the actual amp. I have noticed a trend of ppl who get their ProMedia's from Best Buy seem to have the majority of the problems. I have the 4.1's, the v2.400's and the 2.1's and never have had a problem with any. I am awaiting my two sets of 5.1's now.

You should be pretty safe from getting a problem set. The only reason you even know about any of the problems klipsch speakers have is becuase of this site. imagine what other speaker companies are hiding by not having a place for its consumers' to express how they truly feel about their products. Also, the majority of the people that come to these boards come becaues they have a problem. There are very few that come just to talk. If you look at that ratio, the amount of ppl with problems that come here and the amount of ppl without problems that never venture here... you would be overwhelmed.

Bottom line

-------------------------------------

Don't worry about getting a defective set. Some ppl are just unlucky, and/or bought them from Best Buy.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

from a reseller in Aus.

"Bad things; The Klipsch 4.1s have a serious known problem at this time in oz, there's been a 90% rate of return because of an overheating problem which is fixable, but has only recently been confirmed."

"The current problem with the Klipsch 4.1s in Australia seems to effect ALL 4.1 units and one supplier has stopped shipment to fix/track the problem themselves, they can't track batches because the speakers aren't serialised but it certainly doesn't seem batch related; people who bought the speakers more than 4 months ago have had the same problem as those who bought them a week ago. I know of at least one person who's had 4 different sets from 4 different shipments develop the exact same problem.

If you use them at low/medium volumes for short/medium times, the problem takes a long time to manifest, and may not even do so. However - so far every set that's been tested for around 2 hours at high/medium volume (3/4 hardware, 75% windows)has developed a fault which causes the unit to overheat and distort, from then on the unit wil overheat even at low volumes in a very short period of time (5 mins).

If you're looking at buying a set of Klipsch 4.1s ; WAIT - until the problem is cleared up, it's easily fixed apparently, but from what I've gathered, if they can't fix the problem 100% at least one of the suppliers is going to stop doing promedia altogether, which I personally think is a good thing (not that the speakers are bad, just that there's no point selling stuff you know has a high chance of being faulty)

There are no known problems with the 2.1s."

Something is definitely wrong with the klipsch 4.1 design.. I bet for those of you bass junkies, set software volume to 90% and hardware 3/4.. I BET most of yur sets will blow up.. The reason it hasnt blown up because its not pushed far enough. Appearantly if thats not enough.. the Australian version which was converted to 230V has problems with the transformer itself.. and the return rate is rising and rising. Those of you who are living in Aus.. or anywhere for that matter, think twice.

------------------

BA735 USB

ProMedia 4.1

Sony MDR-Z600 HP

SBLive 1024 Digital

well, i think a 90% failure rate is an extreme exaggeration. maybe what he meant to say is that 90% of the returned promedia's had the overheating problem, not 90% of purchases... i hope so at least.

the problem does most likely come from the transformer like you said. i just don't see klipsch making a product that failes 90% of the time... no one would make that!cwm29.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665