Edison Phonograph

We went for a nice bike ride today and while we were out we took a break and wandered around in an antique shop.

I found a Edison Phonograph "Disc G150" I would say the cabinet was in good condition and it looked like all the pieces were there even the little piece of wood that slides in and out of the cone for volume control worked. They were not asking a whole lot for this and said they would negotiate on the price. I wasn't able to see if it actually worked, I don't have the slitest clue how to make it work and I didn't want to break it. They also had about a dozen or so records for it in another part of the store.

Thise is like the one that Klipsch has in the museum across from the plant that Mr. Hunter played for us.

Does anyone on here have any idea what this should sell for and how hard is it to find any parts I might need during restoration. I did a kwick Google search but it didn't turn out to be alot of help.

I just think it would be neat to have something like this or I might just fix it up and sell it.

Steve

The C-150 is one of the most common Edison Diamond Disk cabinet-style phonographs, and is most often found with a mahogany cabinet. While most phonograph makers built and sold a very wide range of features and build quality, Edison models were generally a substantial cut above the competition in mechanical build quality but tended to have simple, utilitarian cabinet work.

Some important things to look for:

1. Oak cabinets are rarer than mahogany, and usually look much nicer as the mahogany finish tends to turn black. Edison players usually have gold-plated parts which is the sign of a higher-end machine.

2. Reproducer style. Unlike the bulk of 78's, Edison recorders were vertically recorded, meaning the stylus moves up and down rather than side to side. An Edison reproducer will have a diamond stylus on a rocker arm on the bottom of the reproducer, and you want to make sure the stylus is intact. Some phonographs came with both an Edison and a Victor-style reproducer that is interchangible. I've seen Edison phonographs in shops with a Victor-style reproducer mounted, no Edison reproducer, and a collection of Edison records--- not a combination that works.

3. Edison records are much thicker than conventional 78's, about 1/4" thick. You must have the Edison-style reproducer to play these. Antique dealers seem to think Edison records are more valuable than conventional 78's, but they really aren't. I rarely pay more than $2 or $3 for any 78 unless it is a rare record.

4. Testing the record player is simple. Crank it up. A good player like an Edison will take quite a few cranks. Turn on the turntable and put your ear down to the top of the cabinet and simply listen. The most prominet noise is the centrifugal speed governer, which usually has a simple weight and spring arrangement with a pair of felt friction disks. Adjust the speed control back and forth to listen to the regular. You should be able to slightly hear it working but it should not be very loud at all. The next thing to listen to is gear noise. If you can hear a lot of gear noise, the gears are worn and the player will likely fail sometime in the future. Last is thumping and pounding. This is a more occasional noise and is caused by the spring motors slipping due to a buildup of sticky grease inside. This can be fixed with cleaning the motors, which is part of a pro reconditioning and is not as serious as worn-out gears.

5. The turntable itself should run straight, round and flat, but minor turntable problems are not as big an issue with 78's as it is with LP's.

You should not pay more than $250 for a C150 in good working condition, including a Diamond Disk reproducer in good working condition and no major problems. Pay more ($300) if the player has both Victor-style and Edison reproducers (there is usually a tray for the spare reproducer next to the horn behind the front grille panel-- lift up and pull out at the bottom to remove the panel.) To go as high as $350, the cabinet should be oak and in excellent condition, needing no refinishing, a clean original grille cloth in the grille and a good, clean working mechanism with both reproducers and some records. To this date I've never seen an Edison in a condition meriting this price, although I've seen a lot of sellers wanting to get it.

Wow, what an answer! I've always wanted to pick one of these (either Victor or Edison-type) players. Glad to know you're here, Def, to be able to answer specific questions. I hardly ever see these in my travels, and have no clue as to value (especially with regard to condition). Do you have a collection of these? I'd love to see pictures (from you, too, Steve! Especially one of you hauling it home on the bike...).

Def, if I post a few photos of my Edison can you give an appraisal of condition and maintenance?

The needle is gone and I do have the two 'headpieces' but not sure which is for which. I think I have both types of records here, some are the heavier type.

Michael

Ok, you got me really interested in my Grandpa's old Edison again. I love this digital camera, I can post stuff right away.

This particular unit was in my Grandpa's basement for decades. I do not know the origin of it, other than that as a small boy, he and I would always go and give it a listen every time I visited. He didn't know it, but placing it at 45 degrees in the corner of the cinder block basement gave it quite a presence. Being in the country, the house was dead quiet, so when he'd let me crank it up and carefully lead my hand as I managed the lever that lowered the stylus on the groove, all you could hear was our breathing and the scratchiness of the stylus, then the glorious sounds pouring forth.

I didn't realize it until just now, but this was probably my first introduction to recorded music, although Grandpa liked the old comedy records the best. One was something about what happened when a 'gasoline buggy' got loose on the farm We'd laugh and laugh. (can you tell I'm getting a bit teary right now just writing this)[:$]

Anyway, he was 86 when he was killed in an auto accident about 7 years ago. I was the executor of his estate and gave a eulogy that was one of my proudest moments of my life, to honor this guy I loved so much.

When we all went to the farm house sometime later, I was in charge of making sure things were divided fairly between everyone. No value was placed on his possessions, an object was an object. We went round robin turn around until everyone had enough keepsakes. Number one on my list, above the Tractor, furniture, jewlry, all else, was this old Edison. I don't even know if it's worth much.

But it sure brings back some memories to me.

Enjoy the photos.

Michael

post-10755-13819302058822_thumb.jpg

Here's one of the interior. The 'reproducer' is the big chrome headshell piece. It's a cast piece, looks maybe nickel plated and very heavy. It attaches to the arm which forms the entrance to the bent U horn shape, which exits out of the bottom portion of the cabinet.

As Def Leper said, there are two reproducers, I don't know which one this is, I hope the Edison, it's the one we always used with the thick records. I have the other one, but it has a crack in the mounting area. Don't know if it is salvageable. I just dug it out, will photograph in a bit. My collection is probably 30 of the heavier records and just a few of the thinner 78's.

post-10755-13819302059192_thumb.jpg

Here's the horn area, wood grille removed. It's kind of a sheet metal arrangment that is permanently fixed to the U shaped horn tube leading from the reproducer, therefore it is all one continuous horn assembly. The cone assembly rotates with the tracking of the tonearm assembly.

This will play surprisingly loud. The round plunger in the middle is the volume control. It works via a cable attached to lever up top. When you turn the lever, the soft plunger enters the horn throat, blocking some of the sound. You can muffle it almost all the way down with this. Ingenious!

post-10755-13819302060072_thumb.jpg

Okay Steve-O, here's your control panel- not exactly the Space Shuttle. On mine these levers are on the right corner, close to you. In order left to right, they are 'startup lever', 'brake', and the lever that raises/lower's the Reproducer.

To the left off all this is a small metal lever attached to the cable which controls volume, and to the far left of the platter area is a small knob which adjust the speed.

That's it!

Oh yeah, plus the crank, you have to crank it up first DOH!

post-10755-13819302060762_thumb.jpg

Here's my other Reproducer, which has a break in the casting. This unit has a steel needle and appears to have much movement in the lateral plane (versus the heavy model above, which only has movement vertically.

I hope I'm right here Def, but this appears to be the Reproducer for use with the thinner Victrola type 78's - is that correct?

If so, then I'm at least in luck to have a matching set, Edison, Edison type Reproducer, and Edison record collection.

It seems to work okay, but I wonder about the condition of the diamond. How can this be assessed or changed if need be? Is there any other lubrication or maintenance that this unit should have?

Thanks and I hope you enjoyed the show!

Michael

post-10755-13819302061102_thumb.jpg

Reason why we shouldn't tinker too much with our speakers. Here's Grandpa's way of either replacing grille cloth (if any existed) or just keeping varmits out (maybe little mice, it was in a basement in the country).

Thumbtacks and screen wire- whatever does the job, right?

post-10755-13819302061452_thumb.jpg

Nice shots, and nice phonograph there, Michael! It's especially cool that it was Grandpa's and that you remember playing and listening to it with him!

They Might Be Giants (TMBG) made a recording at the Edison Historic Site in West Orange, New Jersey on an Edison wax cylinder recorder. It's on their album Factory Showroom. It's exremely low fidelity, and the song ("I Can Hear You") is about the failings of modern communication technologies. You know, how hard it is to hear what people are saying!

I can hear you

Just barely hear you

I can just barely hear you

This is a warning

Step away from the car

This car is protected by Viper

Guess where I am

I'm calling from the plane

I'll call you when I get there

You won't hear a buzz

But I'm buzzing you in

I'm buzzing you in

What's your order?

I can super-size that

Please bring your car around

I can hear you

Just barely hear you

I can just barely hear you

Lovely little song there Gregg. I heard my first wax cylinder at Jim Hunters last month. I own a couple of cylinders (part of any good music museum you know), but never heard one. Surprisingly good considering the meager speaker in his tabletop box.

Note that there is never any tangent errors on a wax cylinder!

But you've got me in a conundrum over this birdhouse thing. Kindly explain further.

Michael

Michael,

It's a line from TMBG's most famous song, Birdhouse in Your Soul:

I'm your only friend

I'm not your only friend

But I'm a little glowing friend

But really I'm not actually your friend

But I am

Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch

Who watches over you

Make a little birdhouse in your soul

Not to put too fine a point on it

Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet

I have a secret to tell

From my electrical well

It's a simple message and I'm leaving out the whistles and bells

So the room must listen to me

Filibuster vigilantly

My name is blue canary one note* spelled l-i-t-e

My story's infinite

Like the Longines Symphonette it doesn't rest

Who watches over you

I'm your only friend

I'm not your only friend

But I am

There's a picture opposite me

Of my primitive ancestry

Which stood on rocky shores and kept the beaches shipwreck free

Though I respect that a lot

I'd be fired if that were my job

After killing Jason off and countless screaming Argonauts

Bluebird of friendliness

Like guardian angels its always near

Who watches over you

(and while you're at it

Keep the nightlight on inside the

Birdhouse in your soul)

Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch (and while you're at it)

Who watches over you (keep the nightlight on inside the)

Make a little birdhouse in your soul (birdhouse in your soul)

Michael,

It's a line from TMBG's most famous song (about a night light), Birdhouse in Your Soul:

I'm your only friend

I'm not your only friend

But I am

Who watches over you

I have a secret to tell

From my electrical well

It's a simple message and I'm leaving out the whistles and bells

So the room must listen to me

Filibuster vigilantly

My name is blue canary one note* spelled l-i-t-e

My story's infinite

Like the Longines Symphonette it doesn't rest

Who watches over you

I'm your only friend

I'm not your only friend

But I am

There's a picture opposite me

Of my primitive ancestry

Which stood on rocky shores and kept the beaches shipwreck free

Though I respect that a lot

I'd be fired if that were my job

After killing Jason off and countless screaming Argonauts

Bluebird of friendliness

Like guardian angels its always near

Who watches over you

(and while you're at it

Keep the nightlight on inside the

Birdhouse in your soul)