New Addition!

DaleR

All,

After searching e-bay for several weeks, and getting outbid a couple of times, I was able to pick up this Dual 506 turntable last week for just over $70, including shipping. The 506 sold from '79-'80, and I think it's in excellent shape for its age. It doesn't appear to have had much playing time, and it even has what I believe to be the original cartridge, a ULM 55E made by Ortofon.

Of course, I just had to fire it up right away (to make sure it worked [:)]), so I grabbed a record I picked up at a garage sale a few weeks back, Ray Charles' "Sweet & Sour Tears" (ABC Paramount, ABCS-480, 1964). The sound that came out of that record was pretty amazing, I must say, although it did sound like Ray was singing in a tunnel. I don't know if that was the recording, or an indication of a problem. The table appears to hold it's speed pretty well, and it's dead quiet in operation.

Since my last experience with vinyl was a Soundesign all-in-one system I had as a kid, I have many questions which I'm sure I can find answers to on this forum. Is there a way to tell if the cartridge needs to be replaced, just by listening, or should I just replace it? According to Rotel, this receiver only accepts MM cartridges. I've done a bit of research this weekend, and I would appreciate any recommendations. I'd like to spend less than $100, if possible. What about the drive belt? Are they pretty easy to replace?

I'm wondering if I should just find a shop who works on Dual tables and let them go through it to make sure all is well. I appreciate your comments.

Dale

post-15753-1381930465038_thumb.jpg

Hi Dale,

I have the CS-721 from the same era (bought it new in 78) and these are very good tables. See if you can't find a nice original Shure V15 III and it will be a big improvement. There is a guy on the internet that fixes nothing but Duals but I don't have his website. I hear he does real good work. Do a google search and I am sure you will find him.

Mike

Hi Dale,

I have the CS-721 from the same era (bought it new in 78) and these are very good tables. See if you can't find a nice original Shure V15 III and it will be a big improvement. There is a guy on the internet that fixes nothing but Duals but I don't have his website. I hear he does real good work. Do a google search and I am sure you will find him.

Mike

Mike I think you mean Joel from The Turntable Factory?

Thanks! I've read that Shure cartridges work well on Dual tables, I'll check that one out...

If you're talking about Joel at the Turntable Factory, I have seen his sight. He is not taking any new business until the beginning of August when his assistant returns. I guess he's battling a lot of health issues right now.

I 've found a couple of other sites that service Dual tables and I have no problem shipping it off but I would rather find someone more local, if possible.

Dale