K55V and K77 questions

Kudret

I found out that one of the K77s on my Khorns was 3dB lower than the other, although they both mesure 6.6 ohms. I replaced the lK77 with lower dB with another one and I believe this helped the imaging of my Khorns.

K55Vs (spring terminals) measured 10.6 and 10.5 ohms. I also had another pair of K55Vs and when I swapped this pair I believe they sounded better (cleaner).

I am on a quest to solve the imaging issues I am having with my Khorns and I would like to make sure K55V and K77 drivers function perfectly. Is changing the diaphragms the solution? Where can I get replacement diphragms for these drivers and can I do it myself?

Best regards,

Kudret

In general, a pair of K-77s that have always been a pair will match each other quite well after a diaphragm replacement. Two random K-77s may never match in output even after replacing the diaphragms. That applys to both the K-77 alnico and K-77Ms.

It seems to me that the K-55Vs are much more uniform in their output than the K-77s.

Anyway, I have diaphragms for both the K-77 and the K-55.

Bob Crites

Hard to say what the 3db drop could be. Did you check the polarity of the connections?

You can by diaphrams from Bob Crites. His forum name is BEC. He also has listings on e-bay.

If you know your way around a soldering gun, you might be able to replace the diaprham on the k-55, since it is self aligning, and the solder ribbons are large. You will need a solder siphon to remove all the old solder.

The tweeter diaprham is another story. If you have the ceramic magnet version of the k-77, these have magnet slipage issues. It is a pretty challenging feat to replace the diaphram with out damaging the coil. If you find that the space for the voice coil is not even, the magnet motor assembly will have to be dismantled and re-assembled.

Unless you just want to learn how to do it, it may be better to pay someone to do the k-77 for you. In Bob's e-bay listing, he offers an install service.