Great FREE music & cultural event in Los Angeles on August 13!!!!

1Contra.jpgContra Quintet
Featuring Five World Renowned
Jazz Bassists
:

John Heard
Edwin Livingston
Roberto Miranda
Trevor Ware
James Leary

The World Stage Leimert Park
Jazz Festival

Sunday, August 13 from 12 till 7

Charles McPherson Quartet ,
Azar Lawrence,
Sax Summit, Bobby Matos,
The World Stage Workshop

AND
THE CONTRA QUINTET
Liemert Park- 4344 Degnan Boulevard,| Los Angeles, (one block east of Crenshaw, north of Vernon between 43rd Place and 43rd Street)
FREE AND AMPLE PARKING!

If you haven't heard Charles McPherson or John Heard perform live you are in for an AMAZING treat! I will be there from start to finish and I would love to see some of you SoCal people out there! This is the third annual event at The World Stage, which was founded by the late MASTER Billy Higgins.

Drop me a line if you are interesting in coming!!!

John Heard's website:

www.heardworks.com

• 2 weeks later...

I read the review in the Trib.

I've been trying to get Von to come to LA for a week at the Jazz Bakery for a few years--I even bent his ear at Andy's about it. He'd love to do it, but nobody has ever asked him to play LA. He has NEVER played in Los Angeles. I keep buggin Ruth Price about it too, but she doesn't seem interested.

Have you been down to The New Apartment Lounge on a Tuesday night to hear Von? I have to do this and SOON!

I don't know if any of you made it out for this event, but I assure you it was FANTASTIC.

I arrived late, and cought only the last ten minutes of Bobby Matos' band, a firey Afro-Cuban septet that was really cooking.

Charles McPherson went OFF with some of the most furious bebop I have heard in a long, long time. The man is amazing. He closed the set full of standards and blues with the most blistering "Cherokee" I have ever heard.

The Contra Quintet (a 5-bass "choir") was fascinating--harmony, conterpoint, rythym--all from 5 basses--bowed--plucked--and pounded on. They did "Afro Blue," "Footprints," "Naima," and a couple of originals written in honor of the late Al McKibbon.

The show closed with a tribute to Dexter Gordon--four sax players led by Rickey Woodard (w. Herman Riley, Charles Owens and Keith Fiddemont) swigning and stomping through Dex originals and standards.

A great afternoon!