Klipsch RF-5 / RF -7 with Tube Integrated Amplifiers

willmi

Hi,

Klipsch RF-5 / RF -7has very high sensitivity like 99 db and 101 db respectively. Particularly with RF-5, impedence drops is not an issue. So I am very confidently expecting that tube integrateds can drive RF-5 very easily. Did anyone try tube integarted amps with Klipsch speakers and in-case anyone tried with RF-5s? If so can you please let me know your expereinces with tube integrated amps for Klipsch, I will highly appreciate it.

My musical preferences are vocals, jazz, strings and instruments.

Thanks

Mike

In my position I am not supposed to suggest one brand over another.

However, we have the Cayin S A-88T/6550 in one of our rooms and we took it to Hope for the Pilgrimage this year. This is a 22W triode; 45W ultralinear per channel intergrated amp.

I have listened to the RF-7 with this amp and was very happy with the overall performance.

All I may really suggest is to your question is yes. The RF-7 and 5 should respond very well to tube amps as well as Intergrated tube amps

Stephen: Thanks for giving me your feedback.

All: I am really looking for some feedback regarding your experiences with tube integrated amps with RF-5. I tried getting feednack for klipsch speakers outside this forum to start with and I never got any feedback. That is when I was recommended to get to the klipsch forum seeking some help. I am hoping that I can get some guidance on this forum as this is a klipsch forum.

Thanks for your guidance and feedback.

Mike

I have not heard of too many people (or anyone that I remember [:^)]) that use tube amps with the reference series. As this is a Klipsch web site you will find many people using Tubes with the Heritage line of speakers. You will also find people that use Heritage products for HT with solid state amps. IMO, most of the people that appreciate the RF-7's and RF-5's are into Home Theater and use AVR's or solid state separates. FYI, on why you may not be getting much response.

Of course I could be wrong. [H] Good luck.

I am using a tube amplifier with the RF5. It is is not an integrated, but that sholud not have anything to do with it's ability to drive the loudspeaker.

Previously I was using the rather large Nakamichi PA7 Stasis together with the RF5's, and I tought is sounded marvellous. About 18 monts ago I got hold of an old Scottish tube amplifier called Strathclyde Transcriptions Developments STD 2000 (no it is not from y2K). It was not operating, and I spendt a lot of time restoring and uppgrading it, with all new capacitors, resistors, tubes ea. I had never heard the amp before, but I had heard others speak well of it, and as you can see of the picture, it looks so good that of that reason alone, I found it worth restoring and keep as an operational treasure.

In realtion to the new parts and all, I hooked it up to my system and let it heat up and burn in for a couple of days. When I finally sat down to listen to it, I was really impressed with what I heard. Gone was all tendency of "harshness" and sharp edges. I had not noticed before, now it became aparent. Left was a richer sweeter sound, but whats really supriced me, and uppesite of what many lean to think, was that the bass felt deeper and the responce quicker. Enough said, I can highly reccomend the RF speakers with tube amps. I know people who use the KT88 based McIntosh MC275 togheter with the RF5, I know a well recogniced rewiever in a Norwegian hifi magazine who uses Audionote 300B's on his RF5, and I could go on.....(Keep in mind that Klipsch speakers come considerably more expensive over here in Europe.)

The RF's match very well with tube amps, and is heighly recommended, however as with any other equipment, carful maching is reccomended.

F. eksample, I tested a set of Chineese Ming Da MC300 monoblocks on my speakers. They sounded shit! I have tried other 300B's with good results, but the MC300 did not do it for me.

The amp on the picture is el34 based(i use "Winged C Svetlana) push-pull of about 30W and the input tubes and drivers is ECC83/ECC81- (I use NOS Mullard)

post-21087-13819304882998_thumb.jpg

Another comment,

The RF series is rather inexpensive loudspeakers in th US. Of this reason, and the reason that they are promoted as "AV speakers" they seem often to be matched with mediocre electronics. I can assure you all that matched with good amplification and signals, the RF's will make your jaws drop.

If you are wandering about how the sound level suffered from the amp change in the previous post;

Well, to put is this way; all visitors has left the room long before the 30W amplifier looses its grip........

And by the way, the Nakamich got sold short after......

Not quite the RF-5, but I have been using an old Scott 299a integrated with my RF-7s for a few years. IMO it sounds very good with the 7s. And while it's only 15 watts/ch, with high efficiency speakers it can still get pretty loud.

Soundwise, I think it is fairly comparible with my Lex MC-1 & B&K 200.7 in 2 channel. The Scott sounds a bit warmer & seems to handle the midrange & vocals better, while the B&K wins in the bass. IMO thats a compliment to the Scott as it can be picked up for far less. Also, if you have any interest in vinyl, the Scott has a pretty good phono amp.

There are a number of choices out there. I went with the Scott mostly because I didn't want to spend a ton of money on my 1st tube amp to see if whether I would like it.

Short answer : Yes, tube integrateds can sound very good with the reference series.

• Like 1