Naim Amps for Home Theater?

GeorgeC

Please tell me if I'm crazy. Would love to get some feedback from some Naim amp owners.

I have an Rx-7 system (almost broken in), and was running them off my Denon AVR-5700 receiver. I got some Acurus amps (A125x5, A100), as they are quite a deal these days, and was using the 5700 as a pre-amp. My goal was to complete the system with an Outlaw 950 preamp, and sell the 5700.

However, I haven't been able to warm up to the Acurus amps yet. They've only had about 30 hours, so I realize that they're not broken in yet (I believe I heard they need at least 100 hours). I'm going to keep breaking them in. As of now, they're a little more revealing than the 5700, but they have no airiness to them, and not much low end yet. Music sounds like it's coming out of a box, instead of suspended in front of me, and I can't get excited about the overall sound. Do you think break in will change this significantly?

Here's the Naim part. I decided to swap the front channels from the Acurus to an old Naim Nait 2 integrated amp I had. I doubt that little box is even rated at 30 watts (its successor was 30 watts). Turned it on. Like we say in LA - Whoaa Dude! Night and day. Such emotion in the highs and mids, such airiness, and suddenly the bass woke up from a coma and came roaring to life (I tried the bass with my "Bass - Lo and Slo" novelty CD, and I can now say - the RF-7 has no problem outputting bass). I was almost in tears at everything from Bach to Bluegrass to "Respect". These amps love the Rf-7s!

I definitely can't afford to go out and buy 4 new Naim stereo amps for home theater (new ones are a fortune). But I could sell the Acuruses and get 2 more used Nait 2s or 3s. Is this insane? These amps are over a decade old and at best 30 watts. I know they love music. Has anyone tried them for home theater? They don't seem to have much trouble going loud and low. Is this a crazy idea? Any opinions?