Semi budget reciever?

Kris B Krunch

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you mean Jay?

I was referring to my own situation. I use iMac computer in my office for music server but always use AIFF or 192 bit MP3 so it doesn't sound all grainy.

The problem as I see it with the little iPods is the tendency to use the max compression, for the most amount of music and the worst sound. No way would I hook that up to my main system!

M

How do you mean Jay?

I was referring to my own situation. I use iMac computer in my office for music server but always use AIFF or 192 bit MP3 so it doesn't sound all grainy.

The problem as I see it with the little iPods is the tendency to use the max compression, for the most amount of music and the worst sound. No way would I hook that up to my main system!

M

I was referring to the quote below.

But who on earth wants to listen to cruddy MP3 sound source through

their beautiful HIFI system? That's just disgusting.... Unless maybe

you use a very high quality compression scheme I think it would be

unlistenable.

M

I find 192-320 bitrate ripped with lame codec to be better than cassette and but not as good as cds. CDs though depend alot on good cd players I've noticed. It sounds horrible coming from a 80 dollar dvd player that I hook up for convienance and sounds wonderful on an onkyo cd player that is over 15 years old. I find that hooking up my speakers sounded better with ipod over that silly dvd player. Also Michael, the soundcard built into the iMac is no superstar. It is a built in soundcard and I find the gain very low and distorts when brought at 100%. One day try hooking up a external soundcard just to see what a better soundcard can do. I am all for soundquality but then there is also the convienance factor, like why we buy automatic transmissions even though manual is the better of the two. And with better technology, automatics are narrowing the which is better. Ferrari, Audi, and BMW have technology that can shift fast than any human being (in 150 milliseconds or so)

yeah, the more I thought about it today, the more I thought I don't really need an ipod, or the option to hook it up. I already have a sony mp3 player that I like, it realy only gets used when I'm working out. It's smaller, clips onto my shirt or shorts, way better batery life, and was cheaper. I rarely download music, I'm one of the few from my generation (I'm 25) that still like buying cd's, and yeah, I do notice a slight loss in sound quality so now that's been brought up, only the best for my klipsch's.

I'll be looking at a few stores tommorow and should hopefully make my purchase.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll post what i get and how I like it.

well, I finaly bought a new reciever, but I ended up going a different route, spent more than I planned, but I think it'll be good. I went with a Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV.

I havn't even hooked it up yet as I just got off work, anyways, after looking through the klipsch site, I have a concern that maybe this might be a bit too powerfull of an amp for my RF-15's as they say 100watts maximum continous power. And this amp is 110 watts per channel. is the 10 extra watts something to worry about? My RC 25 shouldn't have any problems, it says it can handle 125 continuous.

And does that mean I'll have to go with RS 35's to be safe? as they are rated for 125 continuous, but the rs25's are only for 75? Or am I worring too much?

The other one I was thinking of getting, that was $200 cheaper was the Denon AVR 1906 and I opted for the pioneer because it was more powerfull and was told it was quite a step up.

The store I bought it at said if I'm not happy with anything within 60 days I can trade it in as long as I keep original box.

What do you guys think, take it back for the Dennon? Or Keep the Pionner and be happy with it, as long as it's not gonna hurt my RF 15's?

Thanks

ps, I was set on getting the Yahmaha that I mentioned earlier, the store I went too offered a better price on the dennon.

Another thing I was wondering about, is that I was told that this pioneer could have 2 extra speakers hooked up to play out of zone 2, but looking at the back of the reciever, I don't see where they hook up. it's a 7.1 channell amp, but even the dennon and the yahmaha had an extra set of speaker connections for this, unless I'm missing something. I don't need it now, but I do plan on eventualy running two outdoor speakers of of this.

Thanks.

this is a link to the pioneer

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069789_310966022,00.html

And here is the dennon I was looking at:

http://ca.denon.com/ProductDetails/545.asp

Another thing I was wondering about, is that I was told that this pioneer could have 2 extra speakers hooked up to play out of zone 2, but looking at the back of the reciever, I don't see where they hook up. it's a 7.1 channell amp, but even the dennon and the yahmaha had an extra set of speaker connections for this, unless I'm missing something. I don't need it now, but I do plan on eventualy running two outdoor speakers of of this.

Thanks.

as with most zone two speakers, it uses part of the 7.1 system to play zone two. The 7.1 is broke to 5.1 and 2.0 on zone two. This is like it for all recievers with zone two and zone three option for say the yamaha with the 9.1 system

this is a link to the pioneer

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069789_310966022,00.html

And here is the dennon I was looking at:

http://ca.denon.com/ProductDetails/545.asp

well, I finaly bought a new reciever, but I ended up going a different route, spent more than I planned, but I think it'll be good. I went with a Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV.

I havn't even hooked it up yet as I just got off work, anyways, after looking through the klipsch site, I have a concern that maybe this might be a bit too powerfull of an amp for my RF-15's as they say 100watts maximum continous power. And this amp is 110 watts per channel. is the 10 extra watts something to worry about? My RC 25 shouldn't have any problems, it says it can handle 125 continuous.

No.... Unless you listen to max volume all the time. RMS means something like it can sustain the 100 watts for one hour..... I doubt you will ever reach sustained 100 watts. Also a 110 watt system is not more at all.... Most will say to get a amp that overpowers the speakers as the distortion will start later in the volume when it gets really loud enough that you don't care.... Wattage doubles for every 3 db. So if you had a 95 db per watt which I believe the rf-15 are. 1 watt = 95, 2 watts = 98, 4 watts = 101, 8 watts = 104, 16 watts = 107, 32 watts = 110, 64 watts = 113 db. 128 watts = 116 db. so somewhere around 114-115 watts is max db from the rf-15. which is quite loud and I doubt you will ever sustain that unless you live in a club.

And does that mean I'll have to go with RS 35's to be safe? as they are rated for 125 continuous, but the rs25's are only for 75? Or am I worring too much?

The other one I was thinking of getting, that was $200 cheaper was the Denon AVR 1906 and I opted for the pioneer because it was more powerfull and was told it was quite a step up.

The store I bought it at said if I'm not happy with anything within 60 days I can trade it in as long as I keep original box.

What do you guys think, take it back for the Dennon? Or Keep the Pionner and be happy with it, as long as it's not gonna hurt my RF 15's?

Thanks

ps, I was set on getting the Yahmaha that I mentioned earlier, the store I went too offered a better price on the dennon.

Thanks for clearing up the power isue. I'm still not sure which surround speakers to get though. would the RS 25's be enough?

My next question is that I have is that on the back of the denon I was looking at (if you look at the back pic in the link) you'll see that they have connections for 9 speakers whereas my pioneer has 7. Now, I'm sure I'll be plenty happy with 5.1 setup and a couple outdoor speakers later, but I'm just wondering if I'll be unhappy down the road.

Does anyone know if the pioneer can say play movies in 5.1 in one room, and output to the two other speakers something else, like play a cd at the same time, like the dennon can? Thanks,

Kris

Id recommend outlaw audio's 1070 A/V Receiver for $899.99

The Specs: http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/1070.html

The Reviews:

Big Picture, Big Sound: http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/outlaw-1070-receiver.shtml

Home Theater Magazine: http://hometheatermag.com/completesystems/106outlaw/

Gizmag: http://hometheatermag.com/completesystems/106outlaw/

Secrets Of Home Theater and Hifidelity: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_3/outlaw-1070-receiver-9-2005-part-1.html

With 65 Real world ultra high current watts X7 channels, dual subwoofer output, Dvi switching, and alot of cool ssp modes, I think its quite a bargain :). Check out their subwoofers too pretty nice "little" cubes.

Thanks for clearing up the power isue. I'm still not sure which surround speakers to get though. would the RS 25's be enough?

My next question is that I have is that on the back of the denon I was looking at (if you look at the back pic in the link) you'll see that they have connections for 9 speakers whereas my pioneer has 7. Now, I'm sure I'll be plenty happy with 5.1 setup and a couple outdoor speakers later, but I'm just wondering if I'll be unhappy down the road.

Does anyone know if the pioneer can say play movies in 5.1 in one room, and output to the two other speakers something else, like play a cd at the same time, like the dennon can? Thanks,

Kris

does it say or have zone b or zone 2?

yeah, it has a zone two or b zone, something like that, guess that's how it's done.

I hooked it up, and to my dvd player, and I havn't gone through any of the setup, I realy only had about 30 mins to play with it, and my first impressions arn't very good, but I'm not condeming it yet, because I've barely touched it. But it sure doesn't sound as good as my sony did, thought I'd never say that, just because I knew my sony was mid range at best. Explosions and sword play don't sound as realistic right now, and it seams like I have to turn the volume up quite a way to just get it to regular talking type voice level, nevermind showing off the speakers type level.

maybe I got something hooked up wrong, or it just needs to be setup right, but if not, maybe I'll take it back. I'm pretty sure it's my fault, but just did an ulta quick setup and wasn't pleased before going to work, so tommorow will check it over again, and if the sound doesn't impress me still, it'll have me wondering why I spent $500 more than basicaly the same, but newer model sony I had before.

If you liked the Sony sound then you might be better off going with a Yamaha reciever. They have a more similar tonal signature, but the Yamaha won't have the gritty nasties of the Sony.

But that said, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to achieve a good sound out of your purchase. Setup is everything and if you need help don't hesitate to ask. The default factory settings are rarely anywhere close to where things need to be.

check to make sure that the speakers are set on big if there is no subwoofer. Also was the sony reciever based on the logorithmic scale? where it shows everything in negative. That messes with alot of people that are so used to the 0-40 scale as 40 is the biggest and they think 20 is half. In the negative scheme, -10 still might not be half power.

Ok, now that I've had a little more time to spend with the reciever I think my worries are over. And yeah, my old sony had the 0-40 scale for volume or something like that and this one is the logorithmic scale, and it gets quite loud.

And I got it out of the pro logic mode and into the other modes like dolby digtal ex and what a difference, now I hear the improvement over the sony, I'm horible at discribing sound, but it's nice and crisp and clear, and I can't even get it close to full volume without the fear of going deaf.

I picked up a pair of SS1's yesterday for a smoking deal of $199. I was a little worried at first about mixing synergy with the rest of my stuff being reference, but it was less than half the price of reference and for the rear channells not used as much as the front 3. And since the only ones they had left new in the RS line were the 35's they would have been overkill for my system I think. And the SS1's sound great so far.

The one piece I have left to finish my system speaker wise is a new sub woofer, I started a thread in the sub woofer section, but havn't seemed to get any replies yet. Here is the link to it: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/783623.aspx

After the sub, and I think it's gonna be quite some time actualy, is the new Plasma screen tv. And hopefully by the time I'm ready the prices will have dropped even more.

I'm horible at discribing sound, but it's nice and crisp and clear, and I can't even get it close to full volume without the fear of going deaf.

So does every so called audiophile in trying to describe the difference between speaker a and speaker b. The problem I mostly read is many people describe it as the first time they had a stake or the first kiss they had which is totally irrelevant and apples to orange debate as I never knew the ears could feel and taste too! Magazine editors are just as bad saying the music was loose or tight! how can soundwaves technically be that!

I picked up a pair of SS1's yesterday for a smoking deal of $199. I was a little worried at first about mixing synergy with the rest of my stuff being reference, but it was less than half the price of reference and for the rear channells not used as much as the front 3. And since the only ones they had left new in the RS line were the 35's they would have been overkill for my system I think. And the SS1's sound great so far.

Seems like a better idea then spending alot more for the rs35 and probably never noticing the difference as they are surrounds that are used sporadically in movies.

After the sub, and I think it's gonna be quite some time actualy, is the new Plasma screen tv. And hopefully by the time I'm ready the prices will have dropped even more.

I'd say try and wait until after christmas to get some killer sales. I think this christmas you will see a drop in many tv sets and after christmas is the bargain shopping. I think this is spurred do to the hd dvd that has 1080 scan while most hdtv are just 720 dpi.If you don't mind 720 it will be cheap and prices will drop like a rock.