Belle clone questions

freddyi

According to one plan on the Klipsch forum , Belle's basshorn appears to be 22.5"H x 18.75"D x 30"W for a total bulk of 7.324 cubic feet. Ramp gap to rear = 3", gap at turn to 2nd section 2.75" and its splitter 2.75" by about 1.25" high at point. Is this correct? How's the performance of the bass section vs La Scala and other things such as 24" deep/10CF FH1?

Belle's aspect is pretty and 18.75" depth great compared to 24 for my room - if these dims are correct then one 4'x8' sheet should just about make one cabinet and bulk is a bit less than my old nemisis the Karlson K15.

did builders here use 7 ply "birch" or go for heavier 15-18mm multiply?.

hope can get my sawdust maker to try a pair but no contact for a long time.

My impression is that the Belle and the La Scala have just about the same bass. I had a c 1959 Karlson for a 15" speaker (JBL D130), and it was hard to get much bass below 75 or 80 Hz, although there was a big peak above that. My Belle has a peak at 60 Hz, and sounds a little bassier than the Karlson, but no really deep bass. Here is a copy of a post I sent to a forum member with a related question:

Here are some impressions of the Belle Klipsch sound compared to the La Scala. We have a fairly new Belle as a center channel between two Klipschorns, and I've heard many La Scalas, but never in a side by side comparison, so all comparisons with La Scala will be from memory. Nor have I heard the new 2006 La Scala. Here's my take:

1) The two sound pretty much alike, as was intended by PWK.

2) The bass about the same, on balance ... neither one goes down into the sub-basement, but you should get the impression of good, dynamic, percussive bass. If you aren't getting enough bass, try putting the Belles into the room corners.

3) La Scala may have a slightly more articulate midrange (same driver, but the horn is a little longer).

4) In my casual comparisons, the Belle may be a bit more gentle and forgiving, and conceivably better balanced -- a dealer told me that PWK "toned down" the Belle, just a bit. The usual tradeoff is there; with marvelously clean, well balanced recordings, the La Scala may sound a little clearer and more "present," but with harsh or flawed recordings, I have often heard the La Scala sound too harsh. I've never caught the Belle sounding harsh. I have heard several musicians (using their own first generation analog tapes) praise the La Scala.

4) I measured the Belle's frequency response, and (in my room) there is a peak at 60 Hz, and a decline in bass below that. The treble is pretty smooth, with no significant decline or droop out to 16,500 Hz. The Belle does not sound as "forward," or as open & airy as my Klipschorns (same room), and, of course, the Klipschorns have more bass. BUT, Belles are much more forward, open, and airy, than most speakers, and sound more "live" and have much more authority than my Heresy II surrounds (same room). Belle's are capable of playing much louder than most speakers, and they are clean.

freddyi

Currently finishing up a set of cornwall clones. I'm using 3/4 inch birch, which is 11 ply.

Using furniture grade birch that was only 7 ply, would be about 1/2 thick. That would be too thin for the sides and the rear of the bass bin.

Cost difference of 7 ply vs 11 ply is not much, only about 9 bucks a sheet diff in price.

IIRC (?) La Scala on some recordings will go "hollow" sounding partially due to hjigh cutoff. Bruce Edgar noted this in his 50Hz show-Horn article.

how does Belle fare vs K-horn on intense drum passages at high spl?

my FH1 kluge with 1829 on 511 and autoformer/12uF on squaker and stepuped piezo is messy - think theres rolloff above 2K on the squawker plus a few other problems.

master tapes/drives can help sound quality .

seems like Belle is a fave for its middles.

by 7 ply plywood - meant ~0.7" thick birch sold at varous outlet. a Belle made of 13 ply 18mm would be heavy to ship UPS (which is almost guaranted means to destruction)

FWIW here's Sentry IV and Eliminator bottom end half space - perhaps the 2-cabs side by side trace aproximates Belle in 1/4 space.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6595/anwju4.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1246/2cabwxq9.jpg

hey Duke Spinner - after 25 years I've forgotten how stock cornerhorn sound and have no moiblity to hear anything or go anywhere..

sitll have one cornerhorn bassbin and K33/43 laying out so might kluge one with H350.

a buddy might (?) offer some cornerhorns cheap but my corners aren't clean. one has cornerhorn/junk - other about 1000lb of rusty xformers/chokes plus theres piles of dem klams.

I'm used to running tweeter back at midrange diaphragm plane as with Edgar's stuff and can't remember how tweeter up front sounds either.

I luv drums and have lotsa solo drum CDs on top of tabla cd and jazz drummers tell me some good drum stuff. Kenny Clarke's solo Cd is good - same with Dan Weiss playing drumkit Hindu style.

FH1 pretty well tells me what Belle/LS should do

I'm tempted to pull ratty old Sentry IV and load but not sure if worth hassle.

oh one more thing - DJK said vented (and boosted at ~1.07*fb) LS put K-horn to sleep on rap.