Anyone making CW grilles?

colterphoto1

I traded member Thumplestiltskin an empty CW cabinet in exchange for making him two CW grilles with his fabric last fall. Due to work load and lack of a workshop, I've not been able to even get started on this project in a timely manner.

Would anyone out there be able to carve out two CW grille boards easily?

Michael

michael, i have 2 that i made out of 3/16 masonite with #17 black already made up. have 2 in the cane also. i took someones suggestion from here and made them out of 3/16 instead of 1/8. i think the 3/16 is to thick. will make all future ones out of 1/8. these have the 3 ports on the bottom. i won't be making any until the winter. i need to make a couple of verticals also.

i'm 5 minutes from 74 & 275 in cincy so the next time you are down this way come look.

They sound like the right size. I don't think it really matters 3 or 4 hole design on the port holes, do you?

Thanks a million, I sent you a PM for directions and to setup time.

I'd like to do it this week if possible so I can get Rick taken care of. He's been more than patient with me.

M

• 3 weeks later...

I keep trying, but I need nearly an entire day to make the trip to Cincy and back. It's over three hours each way. All it takes is one shoot or client meeting and that day's shot. Working on it- maybe this Sunday???

I've got the grille cloth in the car for swapping out, so all I gotta do is head out.

M

Maybe you could just pay Budman to ship the grills directly to me. Would that be possible?

I suppose, but I have that single of yours I took as a sample, right? So that would make two huge floppy boxes to make it down to FL in one piece. I'll check the shipping rates. That would also mean asking Budman to make a shipping crate for them.

Plus I have to get him your grille cloth....

I'm going to try to get free Sunday afternoon.

M

I'll check with Budman, but I came up with this idea.

I could build the 'crate' for them (1x2's around perimeter with cardboard sides), put your single and cloth in it, ship to Budman, he takes out the cloth, puts in the other two black grilles and ships all three down to you.

That keeps his muss and fuss down and eliminates the drive to Cincy and back, although it'd still be cool to get down there and visit him and see those CRAZY CW's!

Michael;

GOT EM!

I had a wedding in Louisville this weekend, so shot over to Cincy to see Budman and pickup the CW grilles he gave me FOR FREE! I'll post about the visit in another thread. Suffice to say that he's very finicky about what he builds, being an ex-machinist. He showed me his collection and his grille making technique.

Not only did he give me the two black CW grilles that I needed to send Thumplestiltskin in exchange for the single CW cabinet (that I'll use for a center), but he also GAVE me two he'd done in the Wendell 'cane' fabric. These are in 1/4 board, a little heavier than the stock, but I dare them to break down in time (you know how the bottom bits around the ports always seem weak.

So I'm off to Lowes to buy a sheet of foam to pack Rick's THREE CW grilles in. Rick- please PM or email me your current SHIPPING ADDRESS (maybe at work?) and I'll get these boxed up today. I'm going to sandwich them in the foam, then build an edge up, then wrap them in sturdy flat cardboard. That should do the trick I'd hope.

Oh, got a speeding ticket in Kentucky on the way to Budman's- after all the wicked road trips I've taken, the cops finally got me! My fault, I was dead tired and in a hurry, Oh well, at least I wasn't drunk!

Michael