HS 2 Power output setting

Rusty

I think you will find that you get very little audio output if connect the amp speaker out to the speakers direct.

In a 25/70 volt distribution system, there is a step up tranformer connected to the amp, a long distribution wire, and a step down transformer at the speaker. (This is similar to A.C. power distribution systems.)

I believe you have that step down tranformer built into the speaker.

However, you don't have the step up transformer.

You can get a 25/70 volt transformer at Radio Shack. The schematic on the back of the blister pack will only show the hook up to the speaker. I.e., where it works as a step down.

However, it can be used as a step up transformer at the amp end.

You'll see that there are sets of taps on either side of the transformer. On one side there is C, 4, 8, and 16 ohms. C is "common".

On the other side there is C, and 10, 5, 2.5, 1.25, and lower (0.62?). (These numbers are from memory, which ain't so good on specifics.)

Just wire the output of the amplifier to the C and 8 ohm side of the transformer.

Then hook the 70 volt speaker input to the common and the lowest power tap on the transformer. I think that is marked 0.62 watts.

Of course this requires soldering skills.

Gil

Pry off the grill, remove the woofer and connect the green and yellow wires from the crossover to the inputs on the back removing the black and red wires. Positive and negative are marked.This bypasses the transformer.I just did it to mine and now they work properly.It has a Ksb1.1 crossover in it so I think it should be okay.

Todd

This message has been edited by thaga on 11-15-2001 at 01:12 PM