newbie with amp-matching Q

Xcaliber

August 29, 2006

I just ran across your search for a Harman Kardon AVR 70.

My aunt died earlier this month so I placed a bid on two of HKs since they ended while I was at the funeral. I expected not to win either. I ended up winning both. I plan to keep the weaker wattage AVR 5 and sell the AVR 70. It has been tested on my DCMs and sounds great. I just don't need that much power for my TV.

If you are still intereste I can sell it for $70 with $35 shipping for FEDEX second day Air.

I live in the Dallas, TX area.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your Aunt.

Assuming that it has a remote, I would be happy to take it off of your hands.

Also if a cheaper means of shipping is available, i'd be delighted.

I have 2 address' currently, zipcodes 17110 and 19383. (parents house and apartment) So if you would prefer, you may check out shipping to the 2 of them. but 35$ 2nd day sounds relatively cheap.

So yeah, get back to me on the remote, I'd much rather deal with someone off the forum then ebay. I realize there are other "universal" remotes available, but i was hoping to get a package deal :) If it doesn't have a remote, and you could hack off like 10$ to help me offset costs of buying another one, that would be awesome. But totally up to you.

Chris

So i purchased the Amp off of Jon, who was more then helpful.

I'd like to thank you as well wuzzer for all the input, no one else seemed to be willing to throw some stuff out there for a newb. :)

So H/K AVR-70 it is, and I'll give yas an update this weekend when it is all setup and ready to play :)

Chris

Man, great price for a piece of gear that used to be over $1k!!!

You'll really enjoy the smoothness and power of the h/k. I've left my treble completely flat since I got it and have no reason to lower it like I had to with my old Sony receiver.

Nice choice!

Oh, and no problem with helping out, happy to help!

OK guys, back again with a troubleshooting question

I'll post up some pics of my setup... the amp works great, no problems playin music using an ipod as a source, or a laptop or what haveyou... however I am experiencing a weird problem when using it with the tv...

First of all, it is wired to the tv using svideo and rca... not that that is important

when i use the amp and the tv at the same time, the amp will power off after a few minutes. I havent had a lot of time to try different scenarios yet, but i can say that i used it for like 2 hours straight with the tv off listening to music on the ipod, and never once did it power off. however a few hours later when i tried using it to play for the tv speakers, it powers off after a few minutes.

Any quick solutions for this? It is on a power strip with surge protection...all of the electronics are on the same strip and it is the only one which powers off.

I'll be experimenting over the week in what free time i have.

Chris

Very weird problem! No idea why it would be happening, but you might try and switch which input you have the TV going in to. Do you have your audio going from your TV into your receiver? If so, is there a way to bypass going through the TV and running your audio directly into your receiver from your cable TV?

Also, if you have the audio going from your TV into your receiver make sure to set your TV's audio out settings correctly. Most TVs have the option to change between fixed/variable audio out. It should be set on fixed so that the volume is controlled by the receiver.

ok so it was in as variable... it has 2 different sets of jacks in the back of the tv, one for audio out variable and one for monitor which ive just discovered is fixed (i WAS curious about that, i realized that changing the audio on the tv also affected the sound from the receiver)

However, in the time spent typing this up, the amp just shut itself off after like 5 min. It was hooked up through monitor the whole time it was on, so that had no affect. I guess next I could try a different source jack on the receiver, but i dont see how that could have any affect? It shuts off the whole amp, not just the sound thru the channel

Chris

Ok, well at this point I believe it to be a problem with that jack or whatever it is called. I've been watching tv for the last hour or so on the stereo using the 'laser disk' jack (haha, it has a laser disk jack) and it has been fine... Tomorrow I'll switch it back and see what it does.

I've got to tell yas tho, its weird watching Futurama using a system :)

Chris

Good to see you probably figured it out. Although, I have no idea why it would be shutting off with simply being in a certain input? [:)]

My best friend had a LaserDisc player a looong time ago. I remember watching Jurassic Park on it. He had a pretty nice system with a Klipsch sub back in the day. It was annoying having to turn the disc over every half hour, though!