snap, crackle, pop

tom b. 57

When I cut power to my system by depressing the power button on my preamp, I sometimes get a loud popping or snap coming over my speakers. This seems to happen usually when I have listened to my system for a long period of time, lets say, a couple of hours or more. I'm thinking it's a build-up of electricity for some reason. What could be some possible reasons why this is happening? All connections seem to be good. Is this a grounding issue? Help! I am concerned about damaging my Cornwalls.

Tom

Try turning on your preamp before the amplifiers, and reverse that order when powering down. A higher-pitched snapping or popping might indicate simple arcing across the power switch, which can be cured with a small value, high voltage (1K volt) snubber capacitor -- which will absorb that pop before it gets sent downstream. However, if you're not familiar with electronics work, this is not something to do at the user level. As others indicated, power up/down sequence should help.

Older Dynaco preamps used the snubber mentioned above, and I have installed them on components lots of times for the same reason. It works well.

Erik